We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hongcun and Xidi

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
407 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Hongcun and Xidi

I will be staying a night at the summit and then coming down Huangshan via Yungu cable car. I would like to make a trip from Tangkou to Hongcun and Xidi. But I need to return to Tunxi by 5:00 pm as I want to catch my bus back to Hangzhou.

I would like to take a taxi to Hongcun, Xidi and then back to Tunxi. Can someone tell me how long does the journey take and how much time is needed to be spent in each of the village?

Also, the cost of hiring a taxi for this trip?

Thanks.

Guilin
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Yangshuo County, Longsheng County
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hongcun and Xidi

Hi,

Your time is enough.

You need to get down the mountain at 8am.

One drive from the foot of the mountain to Hongkong, 1 hour spent there.

30 minutes drive to Xidi, 1 hour there.

1 hour drive from Xidi to Tunxi bus station.

Including the waiting time, you can count your minute.

The last bus from Tunxi to Hangzhou starts at 5.30pm.

Good luck.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hongcun and Xidi

While I enjoyed both Xidi and Hongxun, the time I most enjoyed them was in the evening and early morning after the tour groups had gone. While perhaps around an hour is ok to see each of the places as they are small, I think your memory of Xidi and Hongcun might be off flag carrying tour groups rather than the places themselves.

Guilin
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Yangshuo County, Longsheng County
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hongcun and Xidi

Yes, that's right. If you have enough time, stay overnight there.

new jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hongcun and Xidi

I just came back from huangshan. At this time of the year, there is not that much tourist, especially on weekdays.

you definitely have enough time if you arrived at toukou by 12 noon. you'll probably need a taxi so you don't have to wait around for bus. the cost is around 150 to 200 RMB, you can bargain with the driver, tell him what you want to do. you can leave your luggage on the car. make sure you have the identity of the driver and his cell phone number. if you want my driver, I can give you his number.

In my own opinion, hongcum is definitely the one you should see, xidi is about the same without the pond and it is not as nice. I'd walk around, take my time , not to be rushed by the tour guide ( provided with entrance ticket). spend extra time at the pond in the middle of town, it is so tranquil.

enjoy.

5. Re: Hongcun and Xidi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 28, 2010