We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale
13 posts
Save Topic
Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

Hi Everyone:

Is there bus service that operates from Huangshan to Shanghai(in case I miss the train)? How many hours of travel would that be?

Many Thanks!!!

Gatita1

Sheffield, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

I am investigating the reverse journey by bus. The problem I have is that it's not clear what bus station in Shanghai I need to start from! But if you're inbound to Shanghai, you'll just arrive - and then sort out how to move on from there...

This website www.huangshantour.com/english/SmallClass.asp…

may help with regard to bus times.

Note that they're talking about buses from Huang Shan Shi (town; also known as Tunxi), whereas I think (!) there may be buses direct to/from Huang Shan Qu (district) the foot of the mountain (a small town called Tangkou, 50 km from HuangShan Shi).

I believe the bus trip to Shanghai now takes about 6 hours because the highways have been greatly improved in the last couple of years. Whereas the train takes a roundabout route and takes 12 hours (whether daytime or overnight train).

If anyone else knows better, I hope to be updated (especially on the Shanghai bus terminus for HuangShan)!

Colin

Sheffield, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

I have done a lot of investigating (after my previous posting) and conclude as follows:

You can go overnight Shanghai to/from Huangshan by train, which is 'efficient' (saves a hotel night) but takes 10+ hours.

Daytime travel is better by bus, or plane if you can afford it (but flight times for planes are not good).

For buses, you can go directly from Pudong Airport to Hangzhou (or reverse); in Hangzhou the bus terminus is the Tourist Centre on Huang Long Lu. The Huangshan buses leave/arrive at Hangzhou West Bus Station, some 7 km away (taxi, or local bus 49).

Journey time PVG-Hangzhou is about 2.5 hours, Hangzhou-Huangshan about 3.5 hours (so total about 7 hours with change).

Alternatively you could use the train Shanghai-Hangzhou, which may be better for Shanghai centre. Journey time 2-3 hours dep. on service.

Changing in Hangzhou seems to be better than looking for a direct bus to/from Shanghai to/from Huangshan.

If you fly, be careful of which airport in Shanghai (PVG or Hongqiao on the west side of the city)!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

Shanghai -- Huangshan trains:

N418/N419 (2235--0915) 10h40min

2182/2183 (1240--0032) 11h52min

I think N418/N419 should be the one that you're taking. If you miss that one, you'll have to stay overnight in Shanghai in order to get a bus to Huangshan. There's a departure at 1840 from the long-distance bus station north of the Shanghai main train station, and another departure at 0530 from the long-distance bus station at 1015 Zhongshan Beilu.

I'm not sure how long either of these would take, but it should be doable in about 5.5-6 hours.

china
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

hi - i caught a bus from Shangai South Bus station to Huangshan and it only took 6 hours. I assume the reverse journey would be the same. It was 110rmb and dropped me at the Tunxi bus station. ( As far as i know they all go to Tunxi only)My accomodation was close to the train station and the next day i jumped on a bus that went to the mountain.

ps- its easy to get to the long distance south bus station using the metro.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

That's strange, I thought the Shanghai -- Huangshan buses only cost 96 or 97 RMB.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

I need help re the following.

1.Is there any flight from Huangshan Airport to Xiamen or Fuzhou ?

2. If there is not , then I need to go to Hangzhou to catch flight to Xiamen or Fuzhou .. so how long and how frequent by bus / train from Huangshan to Hangzhou Airport ?

3. Do you suggest I change my trip ?

Current Plan - Bejing to Nanjing to Suzhou to Shanghai to Hangzhou to Huangshan then fly to Xiamen

should I change like from Suzhou to Shanghai to Huangshan the to Hangzhou in order for me to catch flight to Xiamen or any other ways ..

Pls help.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

1) I doubt it, but when are you travelling?

2) None. Take a bus to Hangzhou city then taxi or airport shuttle to Hangzhou airport.

3) Beijing -- Hangzhou -- Huangshan -- Nanjing -- Suzhou -- Shanghai -- Xiamen; or Beijing -- Shanghai -- Suzhou -- Nanjing -- Huangshan -- Hangzhou -- Xiamen; or Beijing -- Huangshan -- Nanjing -- Suzhou -- Shanghai -- Hangzhou -- Xiamen. I'd prefer flying out from Shanghai as you could take advantage of the budget airline flight.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

Thanks for yr prompt reply.

1. leaving Huangshan on 7 May 2008. What about Train from Huangshan to Fuzhou ? (K67/K70) ?

3. I will consider yr suggestion on re route , as I hv book part of the hotel , will hv to check if I can alter date of stay.

Thanks again

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

Train schedules are due to change yearly in April so I don't know what the timings would be like by then.

I don't think there're any Huangshan -- Xiamen/Fuzhou flights at all.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Huangshan---> Shanghai by bus?

after discuss with my hubby , most likely we will change our schedule as per yr suggestion. If hotel booking earlier really can't change , then we will need to take night train to Fuzhou then by bus to Xiamen.

We are Malaysian self travel and many things we can't book on line ( as we do not hv China Credit Card ) However , we will be arriving Bejing on 21 April , we intend to do the rest of our train , flight purchase when we are there .. is this OK ?

Thanks so much for yr advise , it's really help us to settle down lots of our confusion earlier