We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain in the desert

Santos, SP
2 posts
Save Topic
rain in the desert

I´ve booked a flight to calama and we were plannig to visit san pedrothe atacama and do the excursions but i ´ve been reading that due to the rain they are not doing the excursions . Anyone think is going to be ok till 24 february . Do you think is worthing to go with rains or should I cancel the trip.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain in the desert

The long term forecast is for 9 days of rain before the end of February.

Santos, SP
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rain in the desert

If keep raining is possible that we could net do any excursion and maybe is better to stay in santiago or visit other place but Do u think skyairline will not give me refund maybe parcial?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain in the desert

The press reports today that most tourist spots are ope. One exception are the geysers.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rain in the desert

The press reports today that most tourist spots are open. One exception is the geysers.v

P M
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rain in the desert

I dont think Sky will give you any refund. The rain is hurting all the tourism industry in the north unfortunately, and probably them as well, but it depends on what ticket you bought, as there are refundable ones. Santiago has a number of day trips to get outside the city. Do Valparaiso for a day or night if possible. Casablanca Wine Valley is worth it for a day trip. Colchagua Wine Valley is incredible if you have at least one night or two.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rain in the desert

We have just got back from the Atacama today having been there for two full days. Moon Valley, the Geysers and the High Altiplano lagoon tours were cancelled both days (and we were told it would probably been a week before they started up again). However we did a really good Death Valley hike with Enjoy Atacama and the Salar de Tara tour with Desert Adventures which were both excellent and not affected by the rain at all. We were given the choce by our agents to cancel and stay in Santiago but we are glad we decied to chance it.

7. Re: rain in the desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, June 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama