We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atacama desert

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
atacama desert

i am planning a trip to stay in san pedro for 8 full days of "sightseeing". i would like to do walking/moderate hiking…nature, archeology, culture, flora, fauna. i am interested in seeing as much as possible. the tierra atacama hotel is all inclusive for daily excursions and meals. has anyone spent so many days in the desert? i am concerned it is too many.

i love trip advisor!

thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atacama desert

Unless u love sand dunes n gazing at the stars 8 days is kind of long IMO. Perhaps u could split them with a trip across the border to the salt flat at Salar de Uyuni, Laguna Colorada/ Verde n the geysers.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atacama desert

I agree with other poster. You could also go to the copper mine for a tour - it's worlds largest. I was there for three days but it was part if a 10 day driving trip from Santiago. 8 days might be a little long, but then again if you really want to chill, that time fram might be perfect. City is teriffic - they turn off the electricity at night and it's all candles etc, at least back in 2000.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atacama desert

I loved the desert, but after 4 days I was desperate to get out of there. So extreme and dry, not to mention expensive!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atacama desert

Hi Gail851,

I agree with posters here that 3 to 5 days for desert only is enough. If you like trekking, there are some 3-8 day treks in the area which would certainly extend your time in that region.

Otherwise, yes, head to Salar and Uyuni and possibly to Salta in Argentina, especially if you prefer more relaxed days and seeing things rather than trekking days of 5-6 hours.

Or head to the coast, or explore other regions close to Atacama, there is a lot to see and do around Atacama.

All the best

Santiago, Chile
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: atacama desert

Hey,

I would recommend 3-4 days in atacama and then head north to Uyuni for 3-4 days. That combo is the best that I have found. Please send me an email if I can help with reservations, I have a lot of contacts in that area - andrew@pathwaychile.com

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: atacama desert

Keep in mind that the quality of the Uyuni - San Pedro is poor, sometimes bad, and occasionally horrible

7. Re: atacama desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama