We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

Cusco
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

Hello

Do you know if there is a direct bus from Tacna to San Pedro without going via Arica?

Thanks

Karen

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

Cross to Arica by colectivo and get a bus in Arica. There will be buses to Calama and change bus or Turbus has a bus to from Arica to San Pedro (makes a stop in Calama), but I think it is only one a day departing at 10 pm.

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

The journey between Tacna and Arica is an experience not to be missed !! There isn't a regular bus service over the border to Chile's northernmost city, Arica. You more-or-less have to take a taxi and the driver of ours crammed three more people into a car about the size of a Ford Granada. After a lot of faffing about we crossed the border, passing through two customs posts and booked into our hostel (Residencial Tres Soles, run by Adolfo who makes probably the best huevos revueltos - scrambled eggs to Brits). We had eaten very little all day, apart from a cheese empenada at Tacna which contained no visible or tasteable cheese.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

It is "colectivos" you are referring to and they are always shared and stick to fixed routes. They are not the same as taxis. There are also buses which cross the border but usually from further afield than Tacna or Arica. They also take much longer to get through the border crossings, so people prefer the colectivos. There is also a small railcar which does a trip between the two, but it is often not working because of mechanical problems. It is worth checking out if you have the time. It usually crosses once a day when working.

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

I'm very grateful to you, dancingmolly, for your further information. I MUST remember collectivos as we'll be doing it again in November. I undesrtand the buses tend to attract the attention of customs and can take a LONG time for the journey which in our cramped car took only a little over a hour.

I have seen the railcar at Arica (I'm a railways fan) and took some photos of it in 2009 and whilst I'd love to do that journey it just isn't something I can do when on a fairly strict timetable down from Cusco to Santiago. In the railway press there was a report that the railway between Arica and La Paz was due for re-opening last year but I guess that didn't happen - shame !!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

It is a shame you will not be going further south in Chile. You could see the train museum in Temuco. Occasionally they take an old train out and do a run to Victoria.

http://www.museoferroviariotemuco.cl/

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1200/

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

I have already seen the outdoor train museum at Parque Quinta Normal twice - it has my favourite loco in all the world !!

I wondered about the museum at Temuco but got a poor response on the All Chile.net forums which told me there was very little other than the trains to be seen there but your links make me think again. I'm also thinking about taking the train from Santiago to Chillan if it is running again and considering the Wine Train. Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated. In 2010 we took Pachamama by Bus down to Puerto Montt and then had some days in Chiloe before taking the Navimag boat down to Puerto Natales for the Torres del Paine. I hope they get that fire out soon. We will be going there again this year and will also be staying in Santiago for several days on three separate parts of our trip up and down the country (and Peru) and I shall need to get the Santiago equivalent of our Oyster card - a BIP ?

Thanks again, Barry.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

If you took the train to Talca instead of all the way to Chillan, you could ride the little buscarril between Talca and Constitución on the coast. It does get a bit crowded in summer as people head to the beach, but it is a very genuine Chilean experience. It would mean an overnight in Talca though.

www.terrasur.cl/link.cgi/Servicios/Buscarril/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQP1q0ps8o

Yes, a BIP card. You can buy metro tickets but you need a BIP for buses. It makes life easier. They cost $1000 and you load on what you want.

I think the wine train runs on Saturdays only. You bus to San Fernando very early in the morning and get on the train there.

I don't know when you will be in Santiago, but this is worth doing:

http://freetoursantiago.cl/portada.html

Part of the fire is under control but it is early days yet. When had you hoped to be in TdP?

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

I have heard about Constitución from my son who lives in Santiago. I think he has inlaws who live/d there up until the big earthquake in 2010 but I think I'll stick with going to Chillan.

In 2010 we took the Pachamama by Bus trip down south and stayed at Pichilemu, visited Santa Cruz and the Colchagua Museum. The church in Santa Cruz was almost completely demolished. We went on to Pucón, stayed there 2 nights and went on by lakes route to Valdivia (one night), Puerto Varas, Puerto Montt, Chiloe, Navimag, Puerto Natales, Torres del Paine, El Calafate, Punta Arenas, Santiago. Probably the best holiday of my life but we were in South America for about 6 weeks. We leave again on October 5th for an even longer trip. I "did" Machu Picchu in 2009 but the blasted guide failed to show us some of the most important sites which I particularly wanted to see but was too exhausted by all the climbing to realise until too late.

I wanted to try again in 2010 but made the mistake of flying to Cusco from the UK rather than climbing gradually through the Atacama and Titicaca regions and was laid low (relatively speaking) with altitude sickness. Had to make do with the Sacred Valley - it wasn't the altitude of MP that was the problem but all those steps !! This year we'll go the safe way before coming back to Santiago and carrying on down to Patagonia again.

I hope you'll be able to give me local info, my son is working very hard and only sees much of Chile on business although he'd love to help.

Edited: 7:38 pm, January 02, 2012
San Pedro de...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

anyone know how to get a bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Tacna?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tacna (Peru) to San Pedro by bus

You will have to get a bus to Arica from SPA or Calama. There won't be a bus from SPA to Tacna. You might get a bus from Calama to Tacna but it is quicker to just go as far as Arica and get a "colectivo".