We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in San Pedro

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in San Pedro

Hi,

I'm organising a trip to Atacama and have been looking into accommodation. I've been recommended the Lodge Terrantai. However, the rates for it are vary expensive - especially for a solo traveller.

Are there any good low cost accommodation options available in San Pedro which I could avail of?

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

I stayed at Don Raul. But could not recall the rate. Check it out. San Pedro is a touristy place so rates tend to be higher.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Try the Takha Takha. Not expensive, well situated.

http://www.takhatakha.cl/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303681-d610333…

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Cheers - I'll definitely look into them.

Saarbrucken, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Hello Funkey Monkey,

We came back recently from San Pedro de Atacama and we were absolutely disappointed. I suggest not to book anything in advance.

The whole village consists only of accommodations, tour agencies

and restaurants.

You have a lot of choices and you should see instead of making a reservation, it is not necessary.

We stayed at a budget place (65 U.S. a double room) with the idea to

use the common kitchen. At the end we didn’t boil more than water

there, the kitchen including the refrigerator was a mess.

Take care with the tours, a lot of them don’t include the entrance fee

to the parks, it is a kind of guided transportation.

A lot of restaurants look fancy but are overpriced. They offered us a

bottle of common Chilean wine for 20 U.S. Dollars.

We found the same bottle in a supermarket in La Serena for less

than 6 bucks.

Altogether a bit a tourist trap with nice surroundings.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

I kind of agree with Pink. San Pedro is sort of overpriced desert style tourist town. I came to San Pedro via Bolivia n it was a contrast especially when it comes to dining n souvenirs n day tours. Cost double up. But I was expecting it knowing that Chile is one of the most expensive place in SA for tourists.

London, united...
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

yes it is expensive compared to other places within Chile and especially outside Chile . .. but it is expensive because it became popular. It became popular because it is a convenient place to visit altiplano lakes, volcanoes, salars, geysers and it is a nice oasis setting. You can visit many of these type of places from other locations.. but it is difficult to visit so many, so easily. Pica is also a nice place, it is an oasis, it is MUCH cheaper, it has thermal springs, but no easy access to the salars, geysers etc. San Pedro is definitely worth a visit. I can personally recommend the Katarpe and Tahka Tahka to stay. SP used to be my favourite place in northern Chile, but due to development and prices (I have to admit mostly sympathetic development though) it has slipped down my personal list.. but it is still a lovely place. I would say that to include some tours, nice accommodation and food you would need USD220-250 per day for two people (April 2011 prices).

Utah
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Sure, San Pedro is nothing more than hotels, travel agencies, and restaurants - but that's the whole point: it is a kick-off spot for all of the awesome sites around it.

I spent 20 days in Chile, Bolivia, and Peru, and rank the scenery around the Atacama desert as one of the highlights of the trip.

As for tours - I simply walked into an agency, they telephoned a local, and we spent the day driving to all the best places. It was slightly more expensive than other options (if you have a group of 4 it would be cheaper), but this manner is very flexible and personal. Stop when and where you want. I hate large tour groups anyway. Guide knew his stuff, and we became good friends.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

There is a big difference between somewhere which is a tourist destination and somewhere which is a tourist trap. As more tourists visited San Pedro, the number of lodgings and restaurants increased. The first time I went to San Pedro about the only place to stay was the Hostería. Most of the tourists visiting were European. It was beginning to get expensive. The advantage now is that there are more price options for places to stay, some good and some bad like anywhere else. A bit of research will turn up the good ones. Research pays off. The town is not the destination, it is simply a place to base yourself for the tours.

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Are there any other destinitions apart from San Pedro in which to base yourself for visiting the Atacama?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
7 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in San Pedro

Awasi.