We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southwold, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
617 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

would appreciate and info on travelling from santiago to san pedro

how long by bus

plane

etc

thanks

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

By plane it is about an hour and 20 minutes to Calama.

From Calama it is a 1 hour and 30 minute drive to San Pedro.There is a shuttle service with Licancabur at the airport in Calama.

Heinrich

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

By bus it will take around 18 hours.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

How are the roads from Santiago to San Pedro? Any worthwhile places to stop and spend a day or two?

Thanks

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

Believe me it's one hell of a long journey from Sanitago to Calama driving for hours through the nothingness of the Atacama.

I've done it twice from Santiago to Antofagasta, its over 1300 kms in each direction and takes two days.

En route there is La Serena (4 hrs from Santiago), the Valley de Elqui (near La Serena), and Copiapo (where we stay overnight). Thats the first day. Day two takes you up the coast to Chanaral and then into the desert proper, remembering to stop at the lonliest petrol station in the world at Aqua Verde. (Two pumps, and they run out of toilet water if they get too many customers). Next petrol 160 kms. The Mano del Deserierto is a sculpture at roadside about 50 miles short of Antofagasta.

Me, I love it as a journey, but you have to be pretty deterrmined as you are grinding along for hours with little to see.

Antofagasta to Calama is a couple of hours, with a stop at Baquedano for the railway museum (as a train nut, its rather sad actually).

Do it, do it once for the experience.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

wbph, did you see the train museum in Temuco?

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

No, I still haven't got there. When I first went to Chile in 1981 steam was still operating on the system. Our friends live in Santiago and Antofagasta so we tend to stay that side of the capital, and I actually prefer the desert anyway.

I keep intending to get to Temuco, we were there in June, it was on the agenda but never made it. Next time !

Germany
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

i flew from santiago to calama, then took the bus from there to san pedro de atacama. flight time, 2 hrs. bus from calama to san pedro is about an hour but you will need a taxi from the airport to the bus station (buses leave at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. depending on bus company). taxi from airport to bus station is 5,000 CLP.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

Remember there is also a shuttle directly from the airport to San Pedro run by Transfer Licancabur for about US$12. They do not operate such broad hours as the buses from Calama, however.

9. Re: how to get to San pedro de Altacama from Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, December 13, 2009