We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Which Battambang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
234 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

We weren't sure when we arrived in Battambang by slowwwwww boat (8 hrs 20 mins) to be greeted by a hoard of tuk tuk drivers hassling us if it would be the place for us. However the following day by pure chance we flagged a tuk tuk driver and asked him to show us the sights. This is where our luck really kicked in. We had found a wonderful English speaking ex teacher now working as a tuk tuk driver. He was truly a delightful gentleman. He quoted $18 dollars for the whole day and took us to see all sorts, not just the main tourist attractions, giving us a real insight into Cambodian life.

We did a cooking class in the evening and he turned up un-expectedly to give a free lift home.

We introduced him to other guests and he tried in return to give usanother free lift to the bus station. He was such a genuinely nice guy making a living for his family. He used to earn $30 a month as a teacher but couldn't afford to carry on teaching when he started his family and got a loan for his tuk tuk which he has now proudly paid off. He was just a delight and turned Battambang into our favorite destination. His name is Sarath and his local number is 092 21 82 46 and i would recommend him without reservation which despite using trip advisor for many years I have never before done.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
541 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Thanks for the info. How did you find Battambang and where do you recommend to stay? I am planning to be there soon.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Hi Saggie - Battambang is a small town, but plenty to see and do and IMO well worth a few days time. Beautiful architecture that is slowly being restored, and a much slower pace overall than PP or Siem Reap. Take a tuk tuk out to Wat Ek Phnom - lovely countryside on the way. We stayed at the Seng Hout hotel - great location. No pool, but a wonderful roof-top lounge area - great place to sit and watch as the sun sets over the city. I also like the market in BB - very open and airy. We're looking forward to returning there for a few days in November.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
541 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Thanks Lynn!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Thanks for the info, we also loved Battambang and can't wait to go back.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Seng Hout is a top spot, and they also have terrific Tuk Tuk driver - look out for Mr Kim.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

What a great note. We arrive there this afternoon and I will try to get him

I never used forum before but this is timely and so helpful

Tom

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Tom - don't worry if you aren't able to connect with a recommended tuk tuk driver. We spent seven weeks in Cambodia last year (over two trips) - many towns, many many tuk tuk drivers. They have all been, in each their own way, quite wonderful to spend time with. Have a great trip!

Prosser, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

We spent about two weeks in Cambodia in October and I agree with Lynn011, all the tuk tuk drivers we had were delightful. We were fortunate enough to have the very best in Battambang. Lim Em took us on the best tour of our whole time in Cambodia. He is very friendly, courteous, punctual, good humored, kind--I could go on and on. He is fluent in English and knowledgeable about Cambodia. He works very hard running his tuk tuk and also trying to further his education. Though unfortunately we were only able to spend one day with Lim, it was one of the highlights of our entire two-month journey through Vietnam and Cambodia and he has become a dear friend. He can be reached at limberme@yahoo.com.

mars
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

Your tuktuk driver was fluent in English?

What was his barnet like?

I am laughing.

10. Re: DelightfulTuk tuk driver made our stay in Battambang perfect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014