We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cooking class with children

Which Battambang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
cooking class with children

After we spend 7 days in Siem Reap, we (two mothers, four children, aged two times 10, two times 12) are planning a couple of days in Battambang before heading to PP. I am thinking it will be time to hit the pool, but we will still want to see a bit of the place.

I'm keen on doing a few cooking classes, and my boys enjoy cooking at home.

I see good reviews for Nary Kitchen - anyone taken children there for a cooking class?

If anyone has taken kids to Battambang, and has a not to be missed activity suggestion, feel free to share!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cooking class with children

Hi cupotea,

can't comment about Battambang but if you don't sort something there you could consider the Khmer Cooking class in PP (they have a website). The course is linked to and starts from the Frizz restaurant thought the actual lass was held on a nearby roof top terrace.

We did the full day course ($20 each) when we were in PP in May. There was an american family with two boys about the same age as your kids and they loved it (so did we). The class had 11 of us - from about 6 nationalities. The teacher was fantastic with the boys but at no time did any of the adults in the class feel like we were being left out because the boys were being given all the 'glam' jobs. I'm a home ec teacher here in Oz and her teaching skills with the kids were excellent.

have a great trip

helen

edited for rotten typing

Edited: 6:03 pm, October 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cooking class with children

cupoftea - wew were in Battambang last July and my husband and son did the cooking course at the Smoking Pot.

My son was 13 at the time and loved it, he still makes Luk Lak for us here at home and is harpening his Amok skills!

We did a village tour by Tuk Tuk and it was terrific, so don't miss this. We saw spring rolls wrappers being made, rice being milled, bamboo rice being cooked, chatted with kids when our Tuk Tuk ran out of petrol! Our Tuk Tuk driver called it Cambodian Cheese and he had us completly sucked in, it was fish paste! There were many other things we stopped off and saw, was a great morning.

Battambang Circus ( Phare Ponleu Selpak ) which is an acrobatic show, held at night in a huge tent, you will see signs around town for it, free and you make a donation.

Your kids would love the Bamboo Railway as our son did.

Battambang is a great town and we really enjoyed our stop off and hope to get back for longer next time.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cooking class with children

Thanks Helen. Sounds excellent.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cooking class with children

Thanks Ann - although the time in battambang means less time elsewhere, I am even more convinced it is worth it! Do you mind me asking where you stayed? I am thinking of Stung Sangka. We are staying at seven candles in Siem Reap, and I thought a place with a pool would be a nice change in Battambang.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cooking class with children

Yes, do go for a place that has a pool, your kids (and you) will be unused to the heat & humidity (being from windy Wellington) and could find it quite exhausting till you acclimatise. A pool gets everyone's temperatures (and tempers) back down to a much more civilised level. :-)

have a great trip

helen

ps - just love your avatar photo!

Edited: 8:20 pm, October 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cooking class with children

We stayed at Seng Hout, but no pool there! Great place, cheap, clean, great staff and all those things but Battambang was our no pool stop! We travel cheap for a stop and then more up market for stop! Makes for an interesting holiday!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cooking class with children

Thanks - yes well, coming from Wellington, acclimatising to the heat could be a challenge, especially since I don't remember us even having a summer this year. Glad you like the photo Helen - to be replaced after my Cambodian experience!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cooking class with children

Nooooo - I think your cuppa lady is way cool, I wish I'd been able ti find something with a bit more than the notion of "i've been here' - had my cat for a while but needed a change - perhaps I should go looking for something a bit more bizarre!

H

petersburg alaska
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cooking class with children

Yes, Nary's Kitchen is a great place to do a cooking class! You have 3 hours for shopping at the market with the owner, cooking a 4 course meal, then eating your meal, all for $8 US.

The way they cook the food is fantastic, with fresh spices and herbs and good instructions in English. The husband and wife do the classes together and they are great fun. It was the best food we had in all of Cambodia.

They have 2 sons, so can work with children.

We recommend Nary's Kitchen for cooking classes and eating other meals.

We were in Battambang for a week, and found it a very relaxing place with lots of sights in the area.

BC

10. Re: cooking class with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 26, 2012