We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing currency for the Lev

Which Borovets hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Changing currency for the Lev

What is the best way to exchange money in Borovets. Do I exchange british pounds for LEV in resort or do I take euros to exchange to Lev in resort.

We are a family of 4 going to Borovets on Saturday 22nd Feb and given the lack of snow I am trying to work out how much to take as we may be having to entertain ourselves more if we aren't skiing all day (if at all!)

6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

take sterling and change in resort, you.ll get a better rate.

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

Take sterling, making sure the notes are clean, no rips and no writing you should get a rate of 2.38 or there abouts just now

Sofia
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

Actually it does not matter weather you change GBP or EUR to BGN. You can change it at a "Change" or at the hotel, just look if there are no "small letters". BGN to EUR is fixed to 1.95583 by law, so the rate should be up to 5% less at max. NEVER change money on the street!!!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

It matters in so much as that Euros are not the currency of either the United Kingdom or Bulgaria...

There's no reason whatsoever to take Euros unless you have them lying around leftover from previous holidays. It's like taking exchanging UK pounds into Turkish Lira to take over to Bulgaria and exchange for leva - sure you can do it if you really want to, but why would you?

p'boro
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

I'm in borovets at the moment and the exchange rate is 2.36 to the pound , we were told to use the Crown exchange booths which we have been doing no problems at all

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

The Crown booths are fine, it's the random on-street booths that generally advertise exceptionally good rates that you need to avoid. Especially those frequented by people that will try and actively engage you as you are walking past and draw you in. If it seems to good to be true...

Warrington, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT USE TRAVELEX.

They gave me 1.96 lev/£ compared to 2.355 in the resort.

They also asked me for £3.99 to guarantee the rate in reverse when I came back.

Total sham.

I will never use them again.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

Good grief, that's criminally poor - it's the equivalent of around £17 less per £100 exchanged than in resort!

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

Thank you very much for all your comments I will take sterling with me and change to lev as per the majority recommendation. Just hope there is a large dump of snow before Sunday!

Rayovo, Sofiya...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing currency for the Lev

I think you will lose out changing to euros then leva, just change direct to leva when you arrive, via a cash machine or hotel exchange desk. There's lots of excursions available as well as a few places of interest in the resort such as the King's Palace and the church, Black Rock (a 3 hour round trip walk, or 2 hours on horses), fishing etc