We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nut Allergy - how to handle this in Sao Paulo

Princeton, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Nut Allergy - how to handle this in Sao Paulo

My 18 year old daughter is allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. We know that there will not be the same labelling in Brazil, and we'll take some extra epinephrine. Any ideas about support groups or ways to safely eat out in Sao Paulo appreciated.

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nut Allergy - how to handle this in Sao Paulo

Hi,

Labeling is actually not too different from the US. The best advice would be to have all of the Portuguese names of each nut she's allergic to with you. This way you can ask if any food you're eating has these nuts. Personally, besides peanut butter, I don't recall any foods at restaurants ever having nuts in them. Where will you be staying? Near Av. Paulista are several good hospitals, but not all hospitals have ERs. You may want to try and contact either the US Consulate to get the name of their official MD and get advice from him/her. This info is public information.

Good luck., neighbor.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nut Allergy - how to handle this in Sao Paulo

If you want to carry a card with you to show to the waiter/waitress to explain this in Portuguese, you could take the following text.

Não falo Português mas preciso saber se este prato tem nozes de qualquer tipo pois tenho uma alergia dos mesmos. Por favor, pode me responder no afirmativo ou negativo? Obrigada

Translated in English:

I don't speak Portuguese but I need to know if this plate has nuts of any kind as I am alergic. Can you please advise yes or no? Thank you.

By the way, the word for peanut in Portuguese is amendoim.

3. Re: Nut Allergy - how to handle this in Sao Paulo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 20, 2009