We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport question

Metro Detroit
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport question

I'm planning on flying from Sao Paulo to Rio mid-week in the evening. According to Orbitz, I have 3 options for airports - VCP, GRU and CGH, with VCP being the cheapest flight. I will be going to the airport from downtown/business district. Any advice? Many thanks!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport question

As i told you in the other post CGH is the best for sure. The airport without traffic is 15 minute ride from Paulista region. At peak times, you can expect 40 minutes. Taxi ride for around 30 reais (around 15 US$).

For GRU region you can expect around 40 minutes when traffic is good. At peak times you can expect 2 hours (once I took 3 hours). Taxi ride for 100 reais (59 US$).

For VCP airport is around 1h30 when traffic is fine. At peak times you can expect to take an extra hour. Taxi ride for 300 reais.

There is also public transportation, there is a executive bus that takes from paulista to guarulhos for R$ 37 each person (around US$ 18). - http://www.airportbusservice.com.br/

Edited: 1:01 pm, August 05, 2014
Metro Detroit
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport question

Thanks Phillip!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport question

Apologies if it has been mentioned before, but while on the subject

BEWARE OF RELYING ON THE AIRPORT BUS TO GET TO GUARULHOS (GRU) ON TIME.

If you are coming *from* GRU it is not a bad option (to Portuguesa-Tiete, or Barra Funda, or Republica: though consider a taxi if there are several of you as the bus is not cheap at around £36Rs).

But if you are going to GRU to catch a plane....

There are approximately two three-lane highways going towards GRU (six in total in each direction). If you take a taxi, it will take the toll road, which is little subject to traffic delays. The bus will take the other three lanes, which can slow down to less than one mile an hour in places during rush hour and/or if there has been a breakdown/accident in one of the lanes. The advertised journey and arrival times can then be thirty minutes out or more.

You can go to Portuguesa-Tiete or Barra Funda metro / bus station for 3Rs via Metro, which is quick and cheap. That can mean about half way to the airport. Then you have to add on time finding the ticket counter (the airport bus company is "Passaro Marron" in Tiete, go straight ahead from the Metro exit and it's currently at the second intersection of outlets, first on the right and faciong you). Then fill it in with your passport number and so on, and find your platform and wait for departure.

For a taxi from Portuguesa-Tiete, go straight through the hall to the far side and down the escalators. Less than obvious, but I think there are always plenty of taxis.

For a taxi from Barra Funda, go up the escalators from the CPTM or Metro and turn towards the end with the shops. Go to the end of the walkway and down the steps at the end (to the left). You can get a pre-paid ticket from the little office at the bottom or just jump striaght in a taxi. Unlike Rio, you don't really need to negotiate, even as a gringo. They put the meter on and that's it. (ie skip the taxi ticket office: all you do there is pay them to write a prepaid ticket.).

It will probably work out only roughly double the price of the bus, but much quicker.

Edited: 11:50 pm, August 06, 2014
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport question

ps I've tried editing the last post to stop TA from inserting Replblica and Tiete as separate places miles from the city of Sao Paulo but no luck: it's an automated process based on the similarity of names.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
809 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport question

Take the bus to Rio. It's much more relaxing and there is a stop halfway for refreshments. No hassle about having to get there two hours before and stuff like that. Just show up at Tietê Bus Station, board the bus and you're on your way. There are four companies, Itapemirim is the best. Buses run from about 6:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. and then again from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. more or less. You can just show up and buy a ticket, if you don't mind a poor seat (aisle, near the bathroom). You must buy in advance between Christmas and Carnival.

Travelling at night, ask for the 'leito' for added comfort - much better than what you get on GOL!

Arriving in Rio, take bus 133 to Largo do Machado, connect with the Underground and you'll be in Copacabana before you can say 'Copacabana'!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport question

I dont agree its relaxing to take bus to Rio specialy if one needs to take it on peak hours when metro is crowd, carrying lot of luggage, traffic can terrible on peak times and take 2 hours more than usual time to get to Rio. Thats not relaxing at all.

If someone needs to taxi a taxi to Tiete is not cheap also. Usually around 60 reais from Paulista for example.

Also the metro in SP is not fitted to carry a lot of luggage. Access to Rodoviaria Novo Rio is not that easy also.

Overall, I wont say is not an option to go to Rio by Bus, specially when flights are expensive. but It costs around 170 reais to catch a Leito Bus one-way, which is most times more expensive than air ticket. At least for brazilians off season the price of 1 way from SP to Rio including taxes is usually around 120 reais from CGH to SDU.

They usually consider more time in order to avoid delays, but the avarage lost time including the moment you go out from your hotel to arrive in the hotel in Rio can be around 3 hours - 3.5 hours., supposing you depart from Paulista and the hotel in Rio is in Copacana.

In the case of the bus, its around 7.5-8 hours of total travel time to get from a hotel in Paulista and arrive in the hotel in Copacana.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,502 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport question

Intercity buses in Brazil are very comfortable and cost-effective.

Bus services are often sold in three classes: Regular, Executive and First-Class (Leito, in Portuguese). Regular may or may not have air conditioning. For long distances or overnight travels, Executive offers more space. First-Class has even more space and only three seats per row, making enough space to sleep comfortably.

All trips of more than four hours are covered by buses with bathrooms and the buses stop for food/bathrooms at least once every four hours of travel.

Brazilian bus stations, known as rodoviária or terminal rodoviário, are often in pretty sketchy areas, so if you travel at night be prepared to take a taxi to/from the station.

Intercity bus info: http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/en

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport question

I personally think it cuts both ways. The flight can seem a lot of hassle for a plane that lands almost as soon as it takes off. But a very quick flight and cheap in economy is infinitely more comfortable than a bus ride, of that length, even in leito, unless you are desperate to sleep or read a novel. It's sold (leito) as "fully reclining" but isn't - you head is still quite a bit higher than your feet. As buses go it is exceedingly comfortable, but my main reasons for getting the bus on that trip are either I've left it late and air prices have gone up or I just can't be bothered with the thought dragging myself to the airport, doing bags and security, and then getting into town from the other end.

If you can get a plane from CGH to santos dumont airport in rio, that's great as it's almost city centre to city centre, but often the best prices seem to include one but not the other.

I alos have a different personal view on getting from the Rio bus station to downtown. The 133 bus from Rio bus station into town is a metro bus, the safest and comfiest of the rio buses, though I prefer to get off at nearby Estação to get the metro, especially at night, rather than stay on until Largo do Machado which means a long twisting route through sta teresa (which can be less than savoury at night). Runs from platform 60 I think at the bus station although they are modernising it all just now. Last 133 bus will be about 11pm, Various regular buses after that.

9. Re: Airport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 31, 2015