We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GRU Passthrough

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
1 post
Save Topic
GRU Passthrough

My family is traveling From the USA to Paraguay with a change of airlines in Sao Paolo. Airline 1 won't transfer my baggage to airline 2. Since both flights are international, there should be no need to pass through customs and into Brazil, where I would need a Brazillian visa. The question: Can I get my bags from baggage claim to the other airline without leaving the international area which would require a visa?

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GRU Passthrough

Greetings,

This is one of those tricky situations where you really need the advice of someone from the Brazilian Consulate. The consulate that serves your region (Pennsylvania) is in New York. Here is the link to their website where you will find the phone number for the visa section:

http://en.brazilny.org/

From what I recall of the international airport at Sao Paulo (GRU) you must pass through immigration before getting to your luggage and since you will have to get your luggage so you can take it to the second airline's check-in counter, and the airline counters all reside in what would be considered Brazil proper, I would think that you would have to have a visa to enter even for the brief period of timewhen you transit through to your next flight..

Still, I am not certain about this. There may be an airport service by which travelers transiting through Sao Paulo onto other non-Brazilian destinations can get their baggage passed to the next airline and then be checked as well but I am not aware of any such process. That is why you really need to contac the consulate to get the definitive answer.

Sorry I could not be much help with this question, but it is better you find out as soon as possible from the Brazilian consulate so that if you must obtain a visa, then you will have suffcient time to make whatever arrangements needed to get it before your trip. And since you are traveling with your family, each family member will be required to have a visa if the consulate says one is needed even for a quick transit.

Safe travels to you,

George B.

2. Re: GRU Passthrough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 16, 2009