We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? The usual boring question

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hello,

I will be in SP for 2 nights (Fri-Sun). Quite confuse on which district / hotel to stay.

I understand Oscar Freire is the way to go.. However I heard shops are close at 2pm on Sat, is that correct? How far walks from Av Paulista to Oscar Freire? Is it safe? I see not many hotels in Oscar Freire itself beside Regent Park and Emiliano.

Another consideration is to stay nearby Iguatemi @ Faria Lima, is there any recommended hotel there, withing 5 mins walking distance to Iguatemi?

Is there any shopping mall open late in Av Paulista?

Friends of mine who lives in SP strongly recommend staying at Morumbi or Ibirapuera. Is there any activity in the evening/night at Morumbi or Av, Ibirapuera (beside the park)? If I see the map, it looks like only business district with no shopping activity

Thank you!!

19 replies to this topic
São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
778 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

There's an easy way to kill time - have a feijoada (Brazilian bean stew) at Feijoada da Lana, in Vila Madalena, on Aspicuelta Street. The flat rate on Saturdays and Sundays is 60 Brazilian Reais (about 25 USD at current exchange rates) including as much feijoada as you can eat, desserts, "batida de limão" (a Brazilian lemon drink - alcoholic) and "caipirinha" (Brazilian firewater - alcoholic), Soft drinks extra.

During the week, it is cheaper but that's feijoada only - desserts charged separately in this case.

Vila Madalena is definitely like Notting Hill.

To get there from Paulista, take the Underground (green line) to Vila Madalena station, then bus 138 (Munhoz Júnior), get off at Wizard Street and walk two blocks - the bus ride is only 5 minutes or so. Returning, the 138 (Metrô Vila Madalena) passes in front of the restaurant.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

This question isn't too related to the thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just to ask a small question. I'll be staying at the Mercure Santo Andre for the Chile Netherlands match. I was looking at google maps and thought the easiest way to get the stadium would be to take a taxi to Pedro II station and then take the subway to the stadium. Is there any subway closer to Santo Andre?

Nice, France
Level Contributor
345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hi,

I believe that you are aware that Santo Andre is actually located in the outskirts of Sao Paulo (capital)... Your hotel is between 2 train stations (maybe a 15-minute walk? Ask your hotel or take a taxi): "Prefeito Saladino" and "Prefeito Celso Daniel-Santo André" . Take it in the direction of Bras and change it at Tamanduatei station for the subway green line in direction of "Vila Madalena", then get off at your destination (Clinicas?).

Subway/train network map: metro.sp.gov.br/pdf/mapa-da-rede-metro.pdf

Try contacting your hotel in order to know if they won't be organizing (or working with a company) any transfers from the hotel to the stadium.

Edited: 6:26 pm, February 15, 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

comment #13 got confused and gave directions to the Pacaembu stadium, not the new Arena for the WC.

if you really want to stay there (more on it below), you can take Line 10 (Turquoise) on the train stations mentioned above, ride it to the end of the line (Brás).

Brás is already on Line 3 (red) which is the same as the new stadium (Corinthians-Itaquera stop, or possibly Artur Alvim - too early to tell which one will be used for spectators going to WC matches).

You can also take the "Expresso Leste" which skips a lot of the stops between Brás and Itaquera (if spectators are allowed to enter stadium from that stop).

For the WC, there is supposed to be an "Expresso da Copa"; still to be seen if it will stop on Brás or go nonstop from Luz (which is before Brás stop).

comments: Line 10 is not the subway; it is the suburban train service. some of these services have lower quality/frequency/reliability than subway, but I dont know about that one.

walking around in Santo André: make sure you ask reception if path to train stop is ok or not.

Santo André: it is a different city; it was one of the industrial suburbs of SP, full of auto plants and other factories, but less factories there now. the only reason you find a Mercure Hotel there is for businessmen who need to be in area. not a tourist place at all (but hotel in next to a mall, so you can get food and basic needs there). cabs that cross between Santo André and São Paulo city limits may be able to impose a 50% surcharge on meter amount.

if you have no other reason to stay there, I would really reconsider staying in more tourist friendly areas in SP itself. preferably walking distance to a subway stop. if price was a factor, only 22% of hotel rooms in SP during WC period have been booked (info as of last week).... MATCH will release more rooms April 30... so, prices may come down in much more convenient/attractive locations.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hello friends, how you can see on my profile my name is Matheus and I'm 23. I'm living in São Paulo from all my life and I think I can help you guys with some questions that I read here, on this forum.

The "Morumbi" is a great place to stay, but there you WILL need a car, don't have Metro and I don't recomend bus for turists (I never used the bus in Sao Paulo, and I live here since I born!).

I'm living alone, so I'm trying to rent my appartament for someone, in South Zone from São Paulo, Vila Mariana (almost 15 mins from Ibirapuera Park, 50 mins from Guaruja Beach, 20 minutes from Avenida Paulista, all by car and 5 mins walking from metro)

So if you want some help to come to São Paulo you can ask me (Facebook me or Whats app +5511 98434 9544).

Just Trying to be helpfull (Sorry about my english)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Matduque, FlipKey is operated by Trip Advisor and is a good website for apartment rentals. I suggest you register!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

I think there's a couple of all-night restaurants in Haddock Lobo, isn't there? It's close to that hotel. But the "centre of the universe" so to speak is Avenida Paulista (ten minutes uphill). To go to Sao Paulo without doing Paulista would be like going to New York without seeing Times Square (except Paulista is more interesting in many respects). Any hotel near Paulista means a hill to get there, but at least you are on the right side for Vila Madalena which is the solid night life area. Although Paulista is quite awesome during the day, I've walked quite a bit very late at night just to find a Starbucks open. Good restaurants get packed especially at the weekend, so book a day ahead.

Edited: 11:31 pm, May 28, 2014
Baia Mare, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hello!

We will spend one night in SP from 27-th to 28-th of December. We will arrive and departure form Guarulhos Airport. We are going to use the bus/subway to reach the city from/to the airport. We do not know how to chose our hotel: If we chose a hotel in Paulista region, we have to change to another subway line from the red line, or use a bus. If we choose a hotel near Republica (on the red subway line), seems to be an unsafe place in the week-end, according to actual information. Have You any suggestion?

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
778 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

I have just heard of a great hostel in Vila Madalena, it is called the Villa Hostel. It is on the opposite side from most of the action and sometimes considered as VM although technically it is nearer Sumaré (actually the address is officially given as in Sumaré). At least this way you get a quiet street.

It is 150 metres from Vila Madalena metro from which you have the following transport links via bus:

138 - to the heart of Vila Madalena, and to Villa Lobos park

917H - to Pacaembu Stadium (with walk) and Avenida Paulista

7281 - to Pacaembu Stadium (with walk) and downtown area

177X - to Allianz Park (good football matches)

Just one warning for anyone going to VM - don't go during Carnival - unless you like crowds so packed you can't even move, streets smelling of beer and urine, and high crime (encouraged by the dense crowds). In fact many people who live in VM move out for Carnival. Fortunately the rest of the year it is OK.

The hostel has an excellent rating on TA. 117 excellent and only three poor/terrible.

Edited: 9:46 am, April 24, 2017
Reply to: Where to stay? The usual boring question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted