We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Sao Paulo

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in Sao Paulo

We have a 7 hour layover in Sao Paulo on a Saturday afternoon/evening. Any advice on what we can do? Can we leave our luggage in the airport? Maybe a private tour by taxi??

São Paulo/Brazil
Level Contributor
292 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Sao Paulo

viajenaviagem.com/2010/…

wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Sao Paulo

I have a similar problem but only 5 hours in GRU before needing to check in for next flight. Is it worth leaving the airport at all with this much time, I've heard traffic can be bad would we realistically reach anywhere or should I consider staying the night - is there enough to do to justify that?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Sao Paulo

It's very tight. Probably better to stay in the immediate vicinity realistically I'd think. It can take 2hrs to the airport sometimes. Just now there is frequent heavy rain which gridlocks much of the city. If you are going to be here on hokiday weekend then a few million people are also going to be trying to travel out of the city.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Sao Paulo

some points to consider:

- on a good day, it will take about 1 hour to reach Sao Paulo itself from GRU airport. on a heavy traffic day, it may be 2 hours. on a heavy and rainy day, just forget it.

- a taxi costs about 100-150 reais each way (it is a fixed price depending on where you go). the airport bus is something like 35 reais per person each way.

- there is nothing to visit in the immediate vicinity of the airport; you either go into town or stay at GRU itself.

- #2 mentions an overnite stay: if you have read about the city and like very urban settings, that is an alternative. but factor in how much it will cost you to get from/to GRU.

- the itinerary suggested by #1 can indeed be very interesting, but it is only feasible with a local taking you to places.

- if you decide to stay at the airport and do not have access to the airline lounges, there is a day-use hotel (basically a bunk bed and shower) there now. kind of expensive, but may come in handy:

http://www.fastsleep.com.br/en/

5. Re: Layover in Sao Paulo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2014