We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

New Haven
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

Hello!

I will be spending a couple of months in São Paulo on business and am looking for a place there. One of the options is a place in the Santa Cecilia neighborhood, on R. São Vicente de Paula, one block away from the Marechal Deodoro subway stop. From Google street view, it looks like a quiet, pleasant residential area. Does anyone here have an opinion? Here's what I am looking to find out:

1) Is it suitable for jogging during the day?

2) Does it have places to shop for groceries within walking distance?

3) Does it have a generally safe vibe?

4) And, the cherry on top, does it have a few nice bars and restaurants?

A bit more info about me: I have been to Sampa before, but always stayed in the Jardins neighborhood, which I find too impersonal. I feel generally safe around the city. For fun, I tend to prefer Vila Madalena to the more upscale club scene.

Thanks very much in advance.

--NPM

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

It wouldn´t be my first choice to stay so close to downtown. I like the neighborhood better from Higienópolis Ave and up.

1. you will jog on the sidewalks...

2. yes

3 is answerd above

4 yes, try Praça Vilaboim area

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
593 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

Santa Cecilia, specially so close to downtown would not be my choice either although the appartments are cheaper than the neighbor Higienopolis. So, if your budget allows, stay in Higienopolis,

Unfortunately there is no place for jogging also ,although it would not be a problem for supermarkets, drugstores, everyday life etc...

If you like so much Vila Madalena, why not rent something there if that is the vibe you are looking for?

Edited: 5:30 pm, January 29, 2013
New Haven
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

Thanks BrazilFamily4 and MiriamM972. When you say "so close" to downtown you mean towards the northern end of the São Vicente de Paula street rather than further south towards the Patio Higienópolis Shopping mall, right? (I ask because from the map I don't get the sense that this place is close to the "centro," which is what I thought downtown was, further west towards República and Sé (which I know are not safe or pleasant)...

The problem is I have to be close to the subway, so further up in Higienopolis is not an option and Vila Madalena is about 50% more expensive...

Thanks again!

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

which is the address ?

New Haven
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

The address is Rua S. Vicente de Paula, 34; one block south from the Marechal Deodoro subway station.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

You're steps away from the Pres. Costa e Silva elevated avenue (known as Minhocão). I don't think it's safe at night in the areas around the Minhocão...

It would be better if you went 1 or 2 blocks south, in the direction of Patio Higienopolis Mall. You would be farther from the subway station, but may be somewhat safer.

I hope other TA users give their opinions, too.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
593 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

You are right Se is centro, but we in Sao Paulo consider Centro neighborhood something closer to elevado Costa e Silva also. A place to come and go and not a place to stay, if you can afford something else.

The closer you stay to Patio Higienopolis the better and not so close to the subway station. You can walk two or three blocks, we do not have freezing tempetures and you will be much better off.

Why dont you look at R. Albuquerque Lins closer to Patio Higienopolis or R. Veiga Filho, which are not so expensive but still close t o the shopping and to the subway.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
824 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

It wouldn't be my first choice.

Answering the questions:

1. Santa Cecília is not good for jogging either during the day (too busy) or at night (dangerous). Take the 669A bus and jog in Ibirapuera Park.

2. Yes, there are good shops there.

3. On the Higienópolis side yes, on the other side no.

4. Vila Madalena and a few in Lapa (bus 8000 from main avenue)

You don't say if this address is an apartment or a hotel, but for hotel accommodation I would recommend the Liberdade area, especially the Akasaka hotel. Underground at your feet, easy access to Sé and also the bus station (Tietê). There is a handy bus 407M which connects Liberdade, Santa Cecília, downtown and Vila Madalena (not Sundays). The area is deserted at night, though. At weekends you can eat a "harumaki" at the famous Liberdade fair, or have a "yakissoba" at Bento House.

For a house/apartment Vila Madalena is best, or Higienópolis as mentioned.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

Hi, guys!

Well, it depends a lot of in which part of Santa Cecilia you'll be staying! Me personally I live in Santa Cecilia and the area is really nice, though its close to Santa Cecilua metro station! In your case, i wouldnt recommend staying near elevado Costa da Silva, isn' t a good place at all, especially at night!

Higenopolis indeed will be perfect, It has a Buenos Aires park, perfect for jogging, and grossery shops too!

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
824 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the Santa Cecília neighborhood?

Maria Christina: That's what I meant, Elevado Costa e Silva (I forgot the name) divides the safe side (Dona Veridiana, Angélica and the like) and the seedy side near Rua Barra Funda including the Elevado itself. This is better known as Minhocão, or the Big Worm, and passes directly over Marechal Deodoro Tube.

Regarding places to visit, I have just remembered some eateries on the Dona Veridiana Street - but take this opportunity to have a feijoada at the Feijoada da Lana in Vila Madalena.