We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

I am coming to Brazil during carnival. I am staying in Sao Paulo for 3 days before going to Florianopolis.

I have heard horror stories about the traffic and people missing planes because of it. I am staying on Paulista ave & Nove de Julo ave.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which airport would be the best to book the departure flight to Florianopolis for the least time in traffic? GRU or CGH

Sunday morning departure..

Thanks

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

during Carnival? sunday morning will be ok with both

CGH is closer tho

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
589 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

If you have an option, Congonhas is closer. But on Sunday of Carnival there will not be any traffic. Most of the people will be away for the holidays.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

Check fares and number of connections first. I'm guessing they won't be equal for flights from each airport. If everything equal, Congonhas probably more convenient, but on a Sunday morning the road to Guarulhos shouldn't be too bad.

Edited: 3:22 pm, August 22, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

I've always found Congonhas to be easier than GRU, and faster to get to from your hotel. I only use Guarulhos to leave Brazil, and don't use it at all unless I can't get a domestic flight out of Congonhas.

Floripa should be fun for Carnaval.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

Thanks all for the advice!!

The flights to Florpia from Sao Paulo are only $15 more from Congonhas. Both airports have many flights leaving to Florpia...

I am planning ahead. I think I will plan on Congonhas because I plan on hitting the town in Sao Paulo and need every extra minute I can get.

Edited: 5:22 pm, August 22, 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
589 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

It seems that you are really planning your trip ahead. That is certainly the way to do it! Have fun during Carnival

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

You may like to know that there is also a bus from São Paulo to Florianópolis (trip time 9 hours), run by the Catarinense company. The trip is at night so you will be able to rest.

Regarding your doubts:

GRU - There is a bus (R$ 30) from Paulista Avenue straight to the airport. It is a special executive bus and takes about 40 minutes in normal traffic.

CGH - Take bus 875A or 875M on Paulista Avenue (buses marked "Aeroporto" on the odd-numbered side), trip takes between 60 and 90 minutes. A quicker way is to walk to Brigadeiro Luiz Antônio Avenue and take bus 5185 (takes 40 minutes approx.)

Bus Station - Take Underground on Paulista (Green Line) to Paraíso Station, then connect to the Blue Line, direction Tucuruvi, get off at Portuguesa-Tietê.

Taxis available to all locations. A good taxi company is Ligue-Taxi, telephone 2101-3030. You call them and tell you where you are, they call back (you must give a telephone number) and tell you how long the cab will be and the badge number of your taxi. The taxi nearest you is called by radio.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

#5: for future reference, Congonhas is in Sao Paulo. It's GRU that isn't (it's in Guarulhos). If both flights are non-stop, I can't offhand think of any reason to choose Guarulhos over Congonhas in this case. Only if you were connecting from an interantional flight arriving at GRU, which you aren't.

9. Re: Which airport is best to leave out of in Sao Paulo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2013