We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
Level Contributor
128 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

When I booked a long trip through South America on American Airlines (with partner flights on TAM and LAN) I failed to notice my flight from Sacramento to Salvador (including stops in Dallas and Sao Paulo) had us arriving at Guarulhos Internationat at 7:40 am on a Sunday and leaving three hours and 20 minutes later from Viracopos Airport some 70 miles away (why??). American refuses to think this is not in the norm and wants to charge us nearly $350 a ticket (our flight is three weeks from now) to change. A TAM one way ticket for the same leg is only $118 but we were advised if we rebook on our own and miss our original flight all remaining legs of our trip will be canceled.

So, if I leave things as they are does anyone have any information about transferring from GRU to VCP (thank god it's on a Sunday morning): how long to get through customs (we could arrive with just carry-on luggage), whether a bus (which one and where to find it) or taxi is best, how long to make the travel (70 miles) and how long to go through security and get to our gate at VCP?

Anyone try this lately? Our arrival date is Sunday, April 10.

Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks!

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
781 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

From GRU to VCP there is a special bus (Caprioli company). The buses are very frequent.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

TAM is not currently a partner of AA, though it will join the Oneworld Alliance probably early next year as a result of its merger with LAN. TAM is still in the Star Alliance. It did have a code share agreement with AA a few years ago. Trips booked through AA's site can include connecting flights on TAM (JJ).

Lesson for everyone: look at your itinerary carefully after booking, since you should be able to change it for free within 24 hours of booking.

BTW, I believe there is a bus between GRU and VCP, but glad you didn't have to use it. VCP is considred a Sao Paulo airport though it's in Campinas (well, GRU is also in a different city-- Guarulhos). Azul airlines uses VCP as a major hub.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

p.s. are you connecting to a domestic or international flight at GRU?

Nice, France
Level Contributor
345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

The original post was from 2011 and the last question from 2012...

15. Re: Transferring between GRU & VCP airports - how, cost & time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 24, 2014