We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours at guarulhos airport

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours at guarulhos airport

Hi,me and my Israeli boyfriend are flying back from Chile and we have to make a stop of 6 hrs. at the São Paolo Guarulhos. We are thinknig taking a taxi from the airport to avenida Paulista and have a short look at the city, probabely eat some delicious Brasilian food while we are there.

Now my questions are: How long does a taxi takes from the Airport Guarulhos to Avenida Paulista?and do you know by chance if my Israeli boyfriend needs a visum to enter officialy Brasil?and last,are there in avenida Paulista some nice vegetarian restaurants?

cheers,

Shai

Mentioned in this post
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

Stay at the airport. Paulista is about 45 minutes away but traffic can be really bad.If it rains it can take hours to go to the aiport.

Maybe you can go to Guarulhos, but I don't know about vegetarian restaurants there.

Mentioned in this post
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
England
Level Contributor
563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

This is a quite common problem for travelers with lay overs in Sao Paulo. Like Previously stated it is a bit risky travelling into down town SP , traffic etc etc. There are a few options though.

There is a shopping center relatively close to the airport and also a mariot hotel with nice pool area to relax at . Your biggest problem is what do you do with your baggage.I would also recomend that at the airport you stay in the main terminal, after customs its a bit sparse apart from duty free and a few small cafes and gift shops.I personally would go to the mariot, eat, drink relax there then head back to the airport on there shuttle bus. Good Luck

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

The last two times I went to GRU it took me 2 hours and 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Sometime ago, on a Sunday I made it in 35 minutes.

Bottom line: if you are talking a weekday, don't go to Paulista. Choose between a hotel or the mall.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

Hi,and thank you for your posting.

how do I get to Guarulhos?its close to the airport?its a residencial area,with bussines,shops and things like that??

We just do not want to spend 6 hrs in the airport but insted go out walk a little bit, maybe eat something simple and then going back to the airport..

Thank you

Shai

Mentioned in this post
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

The area around the airport is not a residential area and the closest residential area is not one in which you should or want to casually stroll. There are two malls not too far from the airport, those would be your best bets if you want to walk. Otherwise, stick with one of the hotels for food and drink.

São Paulo, Brasil
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

Yes! I agree the best option for you is visiting the mall.

And the best way to get to the mall is by taxi.. it won't cost cheap (I think at least 20-30U$).

At least, you cant eat something, shopping, play bowling... many things to do!

here's the mall website for your information.

www.internacionalshopping.com.br/index.asp

Enjoy.

Rodrigo

São Paulo, Brasil
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

I forgot to tell you...

There's NOTHING to do in Guarulhos, except for the mall and the airport...

It's a polluted and industrialized city.

Mentioned in this post
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
London - The city I...
Level Contributor
182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

Do not risk it . It may may about one hour and half

to Two hours during rush hour go to Paulista one way and the cost is about 80 USD one way by taxi .

I take this trip 6-10 times a year during various

times of the day .

To get a bit of the taste of Sao Saulo you need a decent week-End or a least one day there .

You take take the bus or shuttle to keep your transport cost at control . Then you can stay in a

good hotel in Gardins very close to Aveinda Paulista and explore the whole area there .

Check the Brazilian Embassy of an up to date details

about visa requirements there.

US
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

Best bet is to go to Shopping Internacional de Guarulhos as said before. On the way there you can ask the taxi driver to take you to the area around University of Guarulhos. Don't bother to get out of the taxi, the area is nice so you can see a little bit of Guarulhos. Then go directly to the mall thorought the city not the highway. If you need the info in Portuguese to give to the taxi driver I can write here for you.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Internacional Sao Paulo
Hotel Internacional Sao...
64 Reviews
Sao Paulo, SP
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
10. Re: 6 hours at guarulhos airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, December 20, 2009