We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport taxis and safety

New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Airport taxis and safety

I just got back from Sao Paolo. While I enjoyed the restaurants in Jardim, I did have one "close-call" safety experinece. On the way in from the international airport, I took the pre-paid airport taxi (Guaracoop?). The service was excellent and the cost not bad (R$88) to Hotel Unique. However, on the way in, there was a traffic jam (not unusual) on an eight lane hiway near downtown. I saw two young guys cross the traffic, approaching the cab, yelling "Watch" and hitting the cab window with a gun. Fortunately, the traffic eased, the drive accelerated through the lanes and we got away. I did notice that other vehicles including city taxis with windows down weren't harrased. My sense is that they were targeting Airport taxis and I guess that it may be beeter to take a regular taxi or arrange car service that take the Airport taxis, which are clearly marked as such.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport taxis and safety

Unfortunately this story doesn't surprise me as the Guaracoop taxis are pretty obvious and everybody knows they are coming from the airport and most passengers have cash. The problem is that there aren't that many alternatives, except for the airport bus that takes a lifetime.

Sorry this happened to you. What time of day was it and was it fairly close to the airport or closer to downtown?

New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport taxis and safety

It was 5PM on a Thursday near downtown. I think next time I will arrange for a car service from the hotel and avoid the airport taxis.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport taxis and safety

If you've got the money, do it. Still, I think it was probably an aberration since there must be hundreds and hundreds of these taxis running between the airport and downtown everyday and I've never heard of any problems until this one.

Good luck, how did you like Unique? Write a review.

New york city
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport taxis and safety

Unfortunately I am not overly surprised by your experience either. My wife is from Rio and the same thing happens there. She will not take airport taxis for this reason and either arranges for a friend or family member to pick us up or we take a car service that doesn't have advertisements all over it. Blending in is very important.

5. Re: Airport taxis and safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 02, 2009