We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe areas in sao paulo

chicago
10 posts
Save Topic
safe areas in sao paulo

We are going this sunday to SP and we would like to know the safe areas to stay in san paulo. We have heard about the jardines what area does this cover? Is Jardines the whole paulista area? How large is Jardines? We have heard of the blue tree Paulista (rua Peixote gomide 707)- and another hotel (golden tulip Alameda Santos 85). Does it matter if you are on the southwest or northeast of Paulista. Any hotel suggestions in a safe area please let us know.

We have heard that this is not a "walking city" due to crime concerns. Do we take a taxi or subway everywhere? Is there a problem with armed robberies in the subway? Is there a certain taxi that you need to use from the airport for increased safety.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe areas in sao paulo

This is a tough question, because Sao Paulo is so large, but let me try and address most of your question. Jardins, Avenida Paulista, Itaim Bibi, Vila Mariana, Vila Madaglena, Vila Olimpica, Perdizes, Jardin Paulista, are some of the more central areas that are considered "safe" during the day and fairly safe at night. Each neighborhood covers anywhere from 1-2 square miles. Between staying on Pexiote Gomide or Alameda Santos, I would go with Alameda Santos, just because the Blue Tree Paulista borders a slightly less safe area, not more dangerous, just less safe than Jardins. Try the Crowne Plaza, Renaissance, I think there is a quality inn, several cheaper hotels in Itaim Bibi.

Sao Paulo can actually be a walking city, if you are healthy and can manage with a map and don't fear asking for directions. From Avenida Paulista to the historic center, it is an interesting walk that can take 30-45 minutes. From Avenida Paulista through Jardin to Parque Ibirapuera, again, a very nice walk, if you have an hour. So, it's not impossible to see the city on foot.

When are you going to be there? I will be there next week if you want a quick walk and a drink.

Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
243 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe areas in sao paulo

I found Sao Paulo to be a fine city to walk around,especially along Avenida Paulista. Avenida Paulista is Sao Paulo's answer to Michigan Avenue in Chicago. I used the Sao Paulo Metro and its buses and I felt secure. Nobody bothered me in the ten days that I stayed in Sao Paulo. This city is very rich in cultural activities.I stayed at Formule 1 close to the Paraiso Metro Station.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe areas in sao paulo

having no experience in Sao Paulo (but in other Brazilian cities) i felt pretty safe walking around in my 3 day visit. I was in a nice area.

i do recommend some walking as Brazil has so many street vendors, etc its just kinda interesting to see.

I stayed at the Riema Poeta Drummond Flat in Jardines. Jardines is made up of smaller Jardim (singular) neighborhoods. i don't know the extent of it The Jardines I visited mainly meant very upscale shopping/dining area.

I don't think you have to take a cab everywhere. The metro is easy to navigate, and people will help you, if you ask. i walked (with older family members) from Avenida Paulista to Ibirapuera park on a sunday afternoon.

we walked around the downtown centro historico and japanese neighborhood during business hours. no problem. Just take some precautions.

We took taxis at night when we went out to dinner if we were leaving the area.

have a great trip!

mg

4. Re: safe areas in sao paulo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 28, 2009