We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floripa Vacation with Real Estate Seaarch

Delaware Valley, NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Floripa Vacation with Real Estate Seaarch

My wife and are both in our early 60s and considering retiring to Brazil or at least spending three to six months a year there. We now live in NJ and will be vacationing four weeks from May 11 to June 6 in Florianopolis this year. Our pousada is on the Ingleses Beach (towards the Santinho Beach) and we plan to rent a car for the time we’ll be there. Have a few thoughts/questions to throw out:

1. Should we rent the car at the Airport or any suggestions for somewhere less expensive?

2. We do have a list of real estate brokers from guiafloripa.com.br/servicos/imobiliaria.php3 which does show those who speak English. Any other recommendations or suggestions?

3. Best legal place to exchange American Travelers Checks in Floripa. Or an alternate method of exchanging US dollars for Brazilian Reais while in Brazil.

4. We know we’ll be coming down during the winter but hopefully we will combine a nice vacation with looking at future retirement property.

5. If possible, we will try to start on our CPF during this vist. We do have friends in San Paulo where it can be sent.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floripa Vacation with Real Estate Seaarch

Well, looks like you are just about to travel and must be very excited! You may be coming more towards autumn/winter time but it won't be too cold during that time. Maybe a bit cool on a cloudy/rainy day. But since you will be staying a month, you will certainly have some nice days during that time.

On rental cars, I suggest renting a car from one of the companies at the airport. It is possible there may be another smaller company off the airport a bit that could cost a bit less. Suggest to get them to meet you at the airport with the car, if possible. Sorry I don't have specific suggestions though. Also, make sure all of your paperwork is in order. You can drive with your valid NJ license but most police also require a color copy, back and front, of your license with a translation to Portuguese. If you don't have this, you can have problems with police that sometimes set up check points and stop cars to check their documents. Also important is to check the car's documents are in the car and are paid up to date (IPVA tax).

On exchanging money, not sure about travelers checks but would say an American Express office would be one place to cash them. To exchange US dollars, there are various shops/travel agencies that exchange dollars. Look for the signs saying Cambio. Brazil doesn't have a big counterfeit problem so you don't have to be too worried about getting phony money.

Only tip I can give on the CPF and other immigration issues is that if you need help, one company you can speak with is Mundivisas (http://www.mundivisas.com.br). They are located near Rio and have tons of experience with legalization of foreigners. The site is only in Portuguese but if you call the Niteroi office, they can speak english. Of course, there are probably a number of companies in Brazil that do this as well.

Delaware Valley, NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Floripa Vacation with Real Estate Seaarch

Thanks JohhnyD. You're right, we are excited and will leave from JFK Airport in NY, USA this Wednesday evening and arrive at FLN Airport (Florianopolis, Santa Catarina) Thursday, May 11 after a stop over at GRU (Sao Paulo). We'll be picked up by staff from our pousada at the airport.

Our Brazilian niece here in the States (married to my brother's son) has made arrangments for us in Florianopolis but is unsure of particulars of the city/island as it has been several years since she's vacationed there. Things surely have changed a lot since she vacationed there as a teenager with her family from Sao Paulo.

We have our NJ Driver Licenses and also International Driver Licenses (with Brazilian/ South American endorsements) through the American Automobile Association. AAA advises us that sufices for our documentation.

"Also important is to check the car's documents are in the car and are paid up to date (IPVA tax)." Is there any other vehicle documentation I should check?

We are looking forward to our Florianopolis vacation and the grand adventure of it all. Although we don't speak Portuguese, we do plan to relax and let the Brazilian tempo of life sweep over over us. Thank you again JohnnyD.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floripa Vacation with Real Estate Seaarch

As far as vehicle documentation, it's just the registration and the IPVA tax documentation. As far as the AAA documentation, not sure what they will think of that in Florianopolis. However, in Rio, the police would probably tell you you had to have the translation and force you to pay them off. Oh, by the way, if you get in that situation where you think an officer is looking for money, don't offer unless you are sure they are asking for it. Make them practically say it. Also, you shouldn't give more than R$50 to R$100, depending on the infraction. Just tell them that's all you've got.

Well have fun in Floripa! I always stay in Ingleses when I go as my fiance lives in that area. It is nice and has a nice infrastructure with shops and restaurants and a few nice things to do at night.