We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florianopolis in May

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Florianopolis in May

I'm leaving tomorrow for a last-minute long weekend in Florianopolis with two young children. I have a few questions if anyone's around!

Is it too cold for swimming in the sea at the moment? We're used to cold water, and I'm not expecting Bahia! But is it crazy cold, or are some beaches okay even now? Specific beach suggestions welcome, preferably with calmer water for the crianças.

How best to get around and go beach-hopping without a car? Taxis? Buses? (We're staying in the city.)

Any other suggestions for child-friendly stuff to do and see? Boat rides, etc?

Thanks so much!

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florianopolis in May

The month of May is fall in Brazil, the temperatures are dropping as we get closer to winter. But this week we are experiencing high temperatures, especially in the afternoons, hot enough to go to the beach, but I heard there's a cold wave coming, so you'd better hurry up, otherwise it will be too cold to enjoy the beaches and the sea will be too violent because of the Southern Winds that blow from Antarctica.

So the weather is kind of unpredictable during Autumn... there can be periods of hot days (like summer) and periods of cold days (like winter)... it depends on your luck!

Most of the beaches will be empty... The local people don't usually go to the beach at this time of the year.

Edited: 7:18 pm, May 23, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florianopolis in May

Thank you. Empty beaches sound just perfect.

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florianopolis in May

If your family likes to go hiking, there is a hiking trail that leads to a calm lake beside a desert beach, beautiful scenery. It is called Lagoinha do Leste. There are 2 different paths to get there, choose the one that goes by the coast, which is much more beautiful and less tiring. The place is not reachable by car. But if your kids are too young, then you cannot do this activity because it's too tiring for young children.

Edited: 11:35 am, May 26, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florianopolis in May

Thanks. Had a great beach day now the rain is gone.

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Florianopolis in May

I have a suggestion for you on this sunny day!

Go sandboarding at the dunes of Joaquina Beach. Rent a board and have fun with your family on the sands.

6. Re: Florianopolis in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Florianopolis