We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Options for a long period

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Rental Options for a long period

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of renting out an apartment (for myself only) between November - January (about three months). I've been looking on the net but I haven't found one that suits me yet.

It needs to be a one bedroom apartment with a fully equipped kitchen so I could cook for myself and as close to "Parque Ecologico Corrego Grande".

I couldn't still decide between Salvador de Bahia and Florianopolis for my Portuguese course so accommodation will probably be the key in making my decision.

You could give me trustworthy links as well.

Thank you.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Options for a long period

You're going to an area known mainly or its beaches and want to stay in one of the few that doesn't have one?

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Options for a long period

Yeah!.. (:

I know it sounds silly when you put it like that but I'm not coming to Brazil for beaches or the carnivale unlike many, but to learn Portuguese so staying close as possible to the language school (wouldn't bother me if it's close to the beach too with possible one vehicle transportation in close proximity) is what I'm seeking.

But yeah you're right... It sounds silly :))

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Options for a long period

Having spent time in both places, I'd still pick Salvador (and Sheila).

And.....in Floripa, knowing Spanish would probably serve you better. :-)

Edited: 2:54 pm, April 19, 2011
Los Angeles...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Options for a long period

If you can read a little Portuguese, go to Balcao.com. and enter the cities and categories you're interested in and check the listings. For rentals the category is Imoveis.

Sayreville, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Options for a long period

I absolutely loved Floripa, and am so jealous that you get to go there! If you like surfing, you should try out the Nexus school I believe it's called. It's pretty touristy, and kind of expensive (but Floripa is both of those in general. We stayed with a apartment rental company called Oasis ( www.oasiscollections.com ), which was pretty much our go to agency when we were traveling in South America. They are overall just fantastic!

Definitely don't miss out on Sao Paulo or Rio either. Sao Paulo gets a lot of bad press, but I really loved it there (but then again I also love NY, BA, Paris, and all other big cities!). It's obviously not as beautiful as Rio or Floripa (and much more business-oriented), but it's a great way to see another VERY different part of Brazil. I also think it's hilarious that the Sao Paulistas and the Cariocas (people from Rio) fight over which city is better :)

About the school - sorry! I speak a bit of Spanish, and luckily most people where we stayed either speak English or could understand my primal Spanish! Lol!

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Options for a long period

Why close to Parque Ecológico do Córrego Grande? Is it because you are going to study at UFSC (Federal University of Santa Catarina)?

There are plenty of apartments around UFSC for rent, because it is an area full of students.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Options for a long period

If you're on budget like most students, you probably do not want to stay at the beach in high season (Dec-> Feb). Those months can be pricey! For instance, a place like you described in a nice area can easily rent for U$3000 - U$4000 for the month of January alone!!! The area around UFSC should be _much_ cheaper around that time of the year, though. However, you may find excellent deals at the beach in the low season. The same property that rents for U$4000 in January, can go for as little as U$400 in the slow months.

Edited: 8:02 pm, August 01, 2011
8. Re: Rental Options for a long period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Florianopolis