We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching and beaches in August

Which Florianopolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
309 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching and beaches in August

Hi there,

We are planning a trip to Argentina and Brazil and have just found out that there may be whale watching in this area! We are thinking of coming at the end of July or beginning of August and wanted to know if we will see whales and if so, where would be the best place to get more information?

We are a family with two kids (aged 9 and 11) and want somewhere fun to stay with other adventures nearby or other wildlife.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

Whale season is June to September/October. I'd recommend going to Praia da Rosa, about an hour south of Floripa (with a very pretty little cove beach in swimming season, which that will not be).

If you want a place where you can go to the beach AND go whale watching (from July to October), head to Praia do Forte, just north of Salvador, to the Instituto Baleia Jubarte (Humpback Whale Institute).

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

According to the official Whale Project website (www.baleiafranca.org.br) the best time to watch whales is from August to October, because that's when a larger number of whales come to Santa Catarina - Brazil.

The boat tour to watch the whales departs from the city of Garopaba or Imbituba.

It's important to remember that August is winter in Brazil and it's cold in the southern region of the country, so you won't swim in the sea.

You can also go to the mountains of the region and see the canyons.

london
Level Contributor
309 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

Thank you for your replies.

Now I'm confused whether we should stay in Praia do Rosa or Praia do Forte to see the whales.

Which is the better location FOR WHALE WATCHING at the beginning of August and will be more fun with things to do for the kids.

Thanks.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

Praia da Rosa, in the far south of Brazil, has a very beautiful little cove, a lovely beach, but August is winter and quite cool/cold, and it is at most a little vacation village. What would your kids do there, other than the whale watch (at most half a day)?

On the other hand, Praia do Forte, quite a bit to the north, is warm year round. The village is very touristy (lots of accomodations), with a big central pedestrian street and a nice beach with waves, quite safe for your kids to wander around. There are all types of excursions offered, leaving from the village. You can also arrange spend time staying in the city of Salvador enjoying the music, architecture, unique culture and history, as well as the great city beaches. Lots of color and movement and music and interesting souvenirs for the kids.

Florianopolis
Level Contributor
109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

Amelia, whale watching is amazing in the southern coast, just 1 hour drive south of Florianopolis! i highly recommend it, many friends of mine have been there, as well as myself, and it´s incredible to see the huge whales playing around the boat. Best thing is for your to stay in FLorianópolis, which is a lively city, since it is the capital city of Santa Catarina state. This agency organizes the trips, they´ve done it for my friends: www.braziltrails.com

6. Re: Whale watching and beaches in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 12, 2012