We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

los angeles
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

Hello,

My fiance and I are trying to find a beach on the island that isn't too touristy but still has nice restaurants, oyster excursion trips and beaches and a lot of local charm (eg. is there an area that would be similar to the Cinque Terre of Santa Catarina?). We want to stay away from resorts if possible and find a nice boutique-style pousada or hotel.

We'd also prefer not to rent a car if possible, is it easy/cheap to get around the island via taxi or bus or is it easier to rent a car?

Thanks! Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

Sunny,

In season, this is one of the most touristy places in Brazil I've ever seen, full of Argentine tourists and lots of others. In my mind, quaint fishing village beaches are connected more with the northeast region. But try Armacao or Santo Antonio de Lisboa for local charm. As far as tourist infrastructure, someone else would have to answer. Car rental vs. public transportation as well. (We rented a house in Cachoeira, a very calm beach, and had a car with us.) My favorite beach was Mozambique.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Armacao Beach
Armacao Beach
565 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Santo Antonio de Lisboa
Santo Antonio de Lisboa
7,693 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
los angeles
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

thank you, so would you recommend Paraty, Ilha Grande or Buzios instead? I know they are also touristy but since at least Paraty and Ilha Grande are car-less, hopefully it'll be more walking-friendly/less congested? Also, I've heard the southern area has a better reputation for safety, are the three beach options above also relatively safe?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paraty
Paraty
State of Rio de Janeiro
Ilha Grande
Ilha Grande
Angra Dos Reis, RJ
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

Any beach village anywhere in Brazil is likely to be more tranquil than any big city. The latter 3 destinations are as touristy as the first (but not so many Argentines ;-), but clearly more compact than a large island, and each has their own distinct character, so there is really no "one over the other".

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Florianopolis
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

What month will you be in FLoripa? Because Floripa is a very calm and not touristic place during the year. It only gets really packed on Dec 26th, then from this date until mid-january, and then again during Carnival it´s really crowded! During the year, the Lagoa area is very charming, walking diatance to boutique shops, the best restaurants in the island, coffee-shops and other service. In this area, i would recommend the Boutique Hotel Quinta das Videiras: hotelquintadasvideiras.com. From there, you will be very close to Praia Mole, Fortaleza da Barra, Costa da Lagoa, places not to be missed in the island. There are other areas int he island that are very nice, it all depends of the time of the year that you are coming.

Mentioned in this post
Praia Mole
Praia Mole
3,920 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Fortaleza
Fortaleza
State of Ceara
Costa da Lagoa
Costa da Lagoa
2,556 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

Not touristic? When I was there, it was neither mid-Dec to mid-Jan, nor Carnaval, and Canasveiras, for example, was awash with Argentine tourists, very honky-tonk feeling. At Joaquina, we had to go pretty far down the beach to get away from people sitting right next to us. At Ingleses, you could trip over...ingleses. :-) Sure, we went to Mozambique on a stormy day and it was deserted.

Mentioned in this post
Joaquina Beach
Joaquina Beach
6,350 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Ingleses
Ingleses
Florianopolis, SC
Florianopolis
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

rssss..... it´s because we don´t ever go to these places!!! canasvieiras, ingleses and joaquina are always touristic places! you know how it is... when you live somewhere really nice where others spend vacation, like floripa or salvador, you always know where to hang out! cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Ingleses
Ingleses
Florianopolis, SC
Joaquina Beach
Joaquina Beach
6,350 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

But then it's not really fair to a new tourist to set his/her expectations that the area is not touristy.

Florianopolis
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

Actually the reason i usually write in this forum is exactly to give indications to the travellers of the very good things to do & see in the island. Like i mentioned to this lady the Costa da Lagoa, one of my favorite places in the island, so unique, and that´s where i always take may friends every time they come to visit. By the way i am going there tomorrow, on Saturday, to take some friends from Tobago! Another place i always indicate is the Praia da Solidão. Have you been there? I just tlove it. Just last weekend we were there, and saw 2 huge whales playing with a baby whale so close to the beach, it was really fascinating! Then my absolutely favorite beach in the island is the Lagoinha do Leste, so beautiful and wild. It can only be reached by hiking or by boat, not to be missed!!! I also like very much to indicate my favorite dinning places, like the restaurants in the Ribeirão da Ilha, the most fresh seafood with beautiful views across the sea to the Tabuleiro mountain range. There is much more....

Mentioned in this post
Costa da Lagoa
Costa da Lagoa
2,556 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
Ingleses Praia Hotel
Ingleses Praia Hotel
519 Reviews
Ingleses, SC
Lagoinha Beach
Lagoinha Beach
876 Reviews
Florianopolis, SC
9. Re: Quaint Fishing Village Beach in Ilha de Santa Catarina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, March 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Florianopolis