We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short day trips from Rio

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Short day trips from Rio

Hello.. I will be traveling to Rio in May.. staying 7 days.. Does any one suggest some short day trips that are worth seeing.. Buzios was one suggestion.. but any others...

1. Re: Short day trips from Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:02 am, April 10, 2007
Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short day trips from Rio

Thanks.. Would you suggest renting a car...? Not sure how the driving is in Rio and how easy it is to get out of Rio.. If not.. are there buses..? What would you suggest?

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short day trips from Rio

Greetings,

Another nice day trip from Rio would be to head off to Petropolis the former Imperial City of Dom Pedro II.

This lovely little city in the mountains has several spots of interest including the Imperial Museum (which once served as the Imperial Palace) and the Crystal Palace of Princess Isabela. Petropolis is about an 60 to 90 (depending on traffic) minute ride from Rio de Janeiro and you can arrange to visit the city via the tours offered through Grayline or one of the private guides like Luciano Sampaio of Rio VIP Tours.

Safe travels to you.

George B.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short day trips from Rio

I would not suggest renting a car, it can be too dangerous if you don't know where you are going.

5. Re: Short day trips from Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, December 28, 2015
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short day trips from Rio

For a day trip, the top spot is Petropolis. You can organize a tour through any hotel for this.

Angra dos Reis is also doable in a day trip. I think Gray Line has a package tour. But if you could stay two nights here, that would be much better.

Buzios is a little bit further to travel and not such a great day trip. For Buzios I suggest two nights minimum stay.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short day trips from Rio

Do any of you recommend the Locanda della Mimosa for lunch or dinner in Petropolis?

Also, I was under the impression Angra was more than a 2 hour drive from Leblon...yes/no?

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short day trips from Rio

Locanda della Mimosa is one of the very few (if not only) 3* restaurant outside from Rio or Sao Paulo according to the most prestigious brazilian guide.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short day trips from Rio

elchevere, Angra dos Reis is approximately 2 hours drive from Rio. The time can vary greatly depending on what time you hit the road as Rio has a pretty serious rush hour at some times of the day. Best to get going before 8am or 7:30am to avoid early traffic.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short day trips from Rio

Great thanks for the replies re: Locanda and Angra...I did not realize Angra was that close--I am assuming, then, that it is only +/- an hour from Barra de Tijuca--unless there is a different route....I will definitely try and check it out on my upcoming visit.