We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing!

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Amazing!

I must say that I am embarrassed of all of the morbid thoughts which I had associated with Rio. I had an absolutely amazing time and was really surprised of how "normal" the city really is.

I packed nice but casual, no jewelry, nothing too flashy. However all of the clubs which we went to, the women were very dressed up from head to toe...dresses, heels, jewelry...I was really annoyed that I left so many things at home!

I went to Copacabana beach a few times and didn't feel threatened in any way, I was surrounded my many carefree families just enjoying the sun and water. I even stayed there for a few hours myself one day and still felt safe. I also walked around Copacabana by myself to look for some souvenirs and I felt fine, I just walked like I was any other local.

As for the night, I was a little bit nervous walking around as we looked for a cab (when no other people were around) but I would also be nervous if I was in a similar situation in Toronto.

I had expected the beach area to be a scary place after 9pm but to my surprise it was well lit and tons of people were walking around. We obviously didn't go onto the beach but it did not look as dreadful as I had pictured it to look. Every night you could see teams playing volleyball.

We spent two nights in Petropolis at a beautiful resort that was 2 hours north. I wasn't sure how safe the drive would be but we stopped numerous times for directions and the locals were super helpful.

New years in Rio was awesome, the fireworks were spectacular and the parties were awesome, the streets were filled with people all throughout the night! It will be a new years that I will never forget.

Anyhow I just wanted to say that if you are thinking about going but are unsure because of safety concerns, don't bother just go and have a good time. Fine the crime rate is higher there, but if you think like that then you are not really safe doing anything in this world.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Petropolis
Petropolis
State of Rio de Janeiro
NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazing!

Very cool...glad everything went well for the Holiday. There's no need to be embarassed over expecting the worst, with some of the things written on this forum, who can blame you.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazing!

Isn't this what most of us have been saying all along? There is a ton of crime, but it generally does not come down the hill and affect tourists.

Don't feel bad about dressing down while the Brazilian women dressed up. They are from there and can see who is dicey more easily than you can and they carry themselves in a way that says they are not tourists. So, you did the right thing.

Glad to hear it was a good experience.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazing!

Jasmine,

This is exactly how we felt! We'd read some of the same irresponsible fear-mongering postings, a lot of which seem to have been written by people who've never been to Brazil, but claim to be experts after reading lurid internet news. Some rantings seem the work of individuals with an ax to grind.

Once we arrived, we found Rio and the other Brazilian cities we actually visited to be safe and friendly, everywhere we went.

Naturally, we observe the same sensible precautions that we'd follow in Canada. Don't wander aimlessly in unlighted areas of unfamiliar cities at night. Avoid small groups of young people if they look menacing. (Ninety-nine percent of the time, they're probably just kids out having a good time anyway.)

My wife left her wedding ring at home after reading hair-raising postings that "drug traffickers" would probably cut off her finger to steal it. Now that I've actually been to Rio, I realize how foolish we were to pay heed to such nonsense. (When you think about it, real drug traffickers make their living selling narcotics. The last thing they want is police attention from committing petty thefts.)

For others contemplating your trip to Rio, follow the same rules as you would if going on a trip to Europe: Don't bring unnecessary things that, if lost, would wreck your trip. But for ordinary travelers like you and me, I'm convinced that you are no more likely to become a statistic in Rio than you'd be in London, Paris, Rome and Naples.

David

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazing!

Good to hear you had a great trip!

5. Re: Amazing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro