We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

Great Falls Montana
3 posts
Save Topic
Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

Any suggestions on what to do with luggage after disembarking a cruise ship in the morning with a late night airport departure.

Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

Perhaps leaving it at the luggage check ---quite safe---at the domestic airport (nearer to the city and the sights) from which you could get a taxi or bus to the international airport closer to your departure time.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

Greetings,

It may well be worth it for you to consider checking into a hotel for the day.

You could take a taxi from the port into Ipanema, check into one of the hotels (e.g. Sol Ipanema) for just the day, then you could relax, have breakfast and even have enough time to go see the Christ statue on Corcovado before you had to get back, check out and head on to the airport.

I did this sort of quickie hotel one-day in and out once while passing through Istanbul several years ago. it worked out nicely and was far better than sitting at the international airport for 10 hours.

If you do decide to do this, I would contact the hotel beforehand to make arrangements since their normal check-in is usually in the afternoon and a "hotel" day is typically considered an overnight stay but I am positive the hotel would be just as happy to work with you for an early morning check-in with an evening check-out.

This way, your luggage would safe and sound and you would have the day to explore, rest, or hit a nice restaurant.

Just a thought...

Safe travels to you.

George B.

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

Some (higher end) ships porting in Rio carry reps from the jewelry stores like H Stern and Amsterdam Sauer. If any of these reps are on your ship I 'm sure they would be willing to transport you to the home office in Ipanema and store your bags until they close in the evening ( at which time you would probably need to leave for the airport anyway).

4. Re: Luggage after disemarking cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 19, 2009