We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favela Tour

WV
Level Contributor
446 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Favela Tour

Has anyone been on one? Is it safe?

11. Re: Favela Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 pm, January 02, 2007
12. Re: Favela Tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, January 04, 2007
rio de janeiro
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Favela Tour

Hello,

I'm a student from Brazil and I'm working on a research project about favela tours. We're now working on the tourists's perceptions about tourism in Rocinha and were wondering if you would like to articipate as an interviewer. We could send you the questions (about 15) by email and would appreciate it if you could get ck to us with any suggestions you find useful.

Thank you for your attention,

Palloma

pallomamenezes@hotmail.com

rio de janeiro
10 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Favela Tour

Hello,

I'm a student from Brazil and I'm working on a research project about favela tours. We're now working on the tourists's perceptions about tourism in Rocinha and were wondering if you would like to articipate as an interviewer. We could send you the questions (about 15) by email and would appreciate it if you could get ck to us with any suggestions you find useful.

Thank you for your attention,

Palloma

pallomamenezes@hotmail.com

CA
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Favela Tour

Well

Let me just report my experience.

I had a tour inside the favela. First for curiosity but when I get there I was very pleased to see that young kids from the favela where inside this tourism program inside this favela. The company name is Rejane Reis - Exotic Tours and she has a sustainable tour with a social tourism workshop inside Favela Rocinha that trains local people how to be guides. The money that we pay goes to those guides trained by Rejane. It is a very smart way to improve those kids life. The web site is

www.favelatourismworkshop.com

As long as you are giving work for people who live there, you are also giving hope to them to get a better life. I do not see a problem with that. I support this company.

Columbia, USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Favela Tour

I think if these tours are benefiting the individuals living in these impoverished areas, and opening the eyes of those who are on them, then they are a positive thing.

Most Americans/Westerners, including myself, are so desensitized to hearing about death that we don't even bat an eye. We'll occasionally glance up, maybe say "That's so sad," and continue sipping our coffee or rocking in our recliners. I'm an aspiring journalist, and a few months ago I interviewed a young woman who survived the Rwanda Genocide in 1994. She asked, "If thirty million people will call in, and vote for a person on American Idol, why can't we motivate thirty million people to call in for Darfur?" Unfortunately the prevalence of death and violence in our world is so unbelievable that our minds can't even grapple with it. I suppose most of us only see death and violence as only being possible in some alternate universe, certainly not the one in which we're living.

Anyway, I'm going to Rio here in a few weeks, and I won't be doing the favela tour. But I would imagine that most of the tourists that go on these tours do have a caring bone in their bodies. I don't believe anyone goes on these tours to point, laugh or make jokes about these people. Even if these tourists take pictures, show them to their friends and families, and never financially do anything, they are obviously drawing attention to the plight of the thousands that live in favelas.

I do understand the other side of this debate. I don't want the favela tours to be some kind of spectacle or disgusting form of Ancient Roman entertainment either. However, would the residents of Rio prefer that the world continue to see Brazil as a giant beach paradise with tons of sand and scantily clad woman? (My good friend in Rio Grande do Sul detests this generalization.) At the very least, these tours are putting an end to the stereotypes and lies that are told worldwide by the media/travel industry, and exposing the dark underbelly of the "marvellous city."

17. Re: Favela Tour

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro