We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

today.reuters.com/News/CrisesArticle.aspx…

this happened Saturday

Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

There's a long thread of discussion about this already on Gringoes, a site frequented by lots of expats, if you want to hear some opinions from those "on the ground" as it were.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

This was so obivously prompted by the poor government or poor police and has absolutely nothing to do with the poverty or income gap in Brazil.

Any guesses that this was arranged by the bus driver?

California
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

My boyfriend notified me of this today and I checked here right away. I read through the 7 page post that above poster mentioned. While my concerns have been eased a little bit, I am still very fearful. I'm trying to hang in there and just take extra precautions. Our flight back leaves late and I think I will travel to the airport hours earlier when it is still early. Extra copies of Passports, visa, drivers license, register with the embassy. Stash all money in socks or bras. Can't really do anything about luggage. Did I miss anything that I should do?

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

Klover, I wouldn't get overly concerned, this is isolated, it hardly happens weekly, monthly, or yearly. Don't bother getting to the airport earlier, you probably have a bigger risk getting pickpocketed in the airport while you wait than robbed in a taxi or bus going to the airport.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

"it hardly happens weekly, monthly, or yearly." WRONG! very wrong!

it happened in last oct with 12 chineses, in may with 2 japanese boys, in january with 33 other british and with two americans (different ocasions), in december of 2005 with 3 norwegians and in october (also 2005) with 12 executives from Angola.

Those facts are related on O Globo, the most important Rio paper on it's 11/26 online's edition

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

Globo is also a right-wing supported paper that perpetuates many urban myths.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

"Globo is also a right-wing supported paper that perpetuates many urban myths."

I hate Globo and the role it has in Brazil, I agree with what you said about it and I make a point on not watching TV Globo, but they wouldn't invent those assaults, if that's what you mean. Besides this I remember most of them being reported by all tv stations here in Brazil.

California
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

Two of us went to Rio a month ago and nothing happened to us- we had a blast. I did not find the airport unsafe- there was a lot of police there. That does not mean that you should not be on guard.

We changed our money at the airport and put them in our socks and left a fake wallet with about 40-50 R available to hand out if needed. We bought two $1 each wallets before departing. During our stay we took with us every day one of them, playing this game but nobody claimed it. So we ended up bringing the wallets back !:)I am saving them for the next trip!!!!

Anyway, I have another comment to make about police in Rio.

Find this movie to watch: http://www.bus174.com/

This movie shows the absolute incompetence of Rio police including their SWAT team. So I would not bet on much help from

police if a critical situation arises.

On the other hand if you do not have a crisis you might have a good experince with them. We asked them twice for directions and they were nice to us.

Yes, the city is dangerous but life is too boring if you do not take chances in life. Besides so many tourists go to Rio that statistcally speaking chances are remote to be robbed/attacked. Go , enjoy , have fun! It is one of the most beautiful and fun city in the world!!!!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

One poster touched on something that may have some insigt when he inquired about the bus Driver.

For anyone who has done a little research, you will notice that the bus with English, and the Chinese tourists that got robbed were with the same Agency. (Not the same bus company).

If you are a regular tourist, arriving by taxi or car, there is no need for extra precaution. (Note the word EXTRA...use common sense and you will be fine!)

An excellent tip was from our friend with using the fake wallet, and hide the rest.

10. Re: Brtish tourists robbed on a bus in RIO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, January 04, 2007