We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist permit extension

Rio de Janeiro...
6 posts
Save Topic
Tourist permit extension

Hi,

I am planning to extend my stay in Brazil for more than 90 days (I am a UK citizen). Ideally, I would like to do this next week. I am not sure what to do - i.e if I need to pay a fee, what documents I need to take with me, etc (I have not got an actual copy of my return ticket as I have an "e ticket"). I know that I need to go to the Policia Federal (I am in Rio) though I have no idea where that is nor what hours they are open for tourist permit extensions.

Thanks for any help,

Melanie

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist permit extension

The policia fed office is in Praca Maua. Try to arrive early as lines can be long. There is a specific section for visa extensions . You first see the clerk with your passport , he then requires you to pay a fee which you must do at a Banco Brasil office .Then you must return with proof of payment and he will give you the extension assuming he is in a good mood.

I suggest you go with a Portugues speaking friend just in case some questions are asked about why , or for how long ( you may only be granted an extension for less than 90 days if the mood strikes the clerk/agent).

No shorts allowed in building .Dress properly.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist permit extension

One other note is they don't start serving the public until 10am. Show up around 9:30am and get the jump on the line.

Rio de Janeiro...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist permit extension

Thank you very much for the info, it was very helpful. I went today and arrived a bit later (I am not an earlybird!), in fact so late that there was no queue at all! I found the process quite straightforward. The woman that dealt with me gave me less than 90 days, but I wasn´t worried about that as I am leaving before Christmas.

Thanks again,

Melanie

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist permit extension

Hey! Let's all give a cheer for Tripadvisor Forum!!! This is what the forum is meant for, not arguing and badmouthing and slander of different countries or cities, but helping your fellow wander get through their travels safely and in moderate or reasonable comfort.

Good job Tripadvisor!

5. Re: Tourist permit extension

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 22, 2009