We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 to 14 days around Rio

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
10 to 14 days around Rio

Hi guys,

Me and my wife (both 28) are planning to visit Brazil for around two weeks in May 07.

We're not big beach people, so no more than a a couple of days on the beach will suffice.

What I really wanted to know is do any of you have ideas where for a proposed itinerary for this sort of time frame?

We'll probably fly in and out of Rio, but we don't want to do too much flying internally. What is close to Rio to visit?

Whilst not going too cheap, we are also on a slight budget. I'd really like to see some natural wonders, and have always dreamt of bathing in a natural lake under a waterfall!! Is this possible near Rio?

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

SSjol,

First of all, Rio de Janeiro is much, much, much more than beach. In fact, only about 15% of the city is lined with sand, the rest is inland of full of history and culture and music and food. Do not underestimate the wealth of treaures Rio holds and you would miss a lot if you went from the airport to the beach and then back to the airport.

That said, if you really want to escape Rio and see other parts of Brazil, I would highly recommend getting to the town of Ouro Preto. It's a pretty city that host a university and is nestled in the mountains of Minas Gerais. You could also visit Salvador, although I have some ethical issues with how they pushed the local, poor families out of the historic center and put in hotels for tourists. Still, it's full of history.

You could also manage a trip down the coast to Paraty, a beautiful, colonial village set on the sea.

If you like adventure, try getting to Foz de Iguacu for nature or Sao Paulo for an urban jungle.

Enjoy.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

Greetings,

Two weeks is a nice bit of time so you will, of course, want to make the most of it. Were I you, I would consider spending about five (5) to seven (7) days in Rio de Janeiro proper.

While in Rio you should get out to see the famous icons of Cristo Redentor and Sugarloaf Mountain. Besides those sights, you should take in the nightlife by visiting a couple of clubs, you should also consider going to a footbal game at Maracana. Most Samba schools will be on break during the time that you are in Rio but you can certainly go to a Samba club or a Plataforma to get a taste of this Rio song and dance speciality.

You can also take a day trip out to Petropolis to visit the Imperial Museum and the Crystal Palace. Petropolis is situated in the mountains about an hour outside of Rio and is a great place to visit if you are into history.

Consider spending about two or three days in Parati a lovely little colonial town a few hours away from Rio. Go to Parati for the tranquility, the scenery and the Cacacha.

The previous poster's suggestion about traveling to Salvador is a very good one. Salvador has a different vibe than Rio and the music, food and history are all great reasons for spending a few days in this wonderful city. Salvador will require travel by air (you could certainly do the trip from Rio to Salvador by bus but taking a plane will maximize your time) but it is a short flight of just a few hours tops.

I hope that this helps. Its always fun to plan a trip and I am sure you will get more great suggestions from otehrs in this forum.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

I think Petropolis (day trip or one night) and Paraty (one night) would really interest you. These are driving distance from Rio (don't drive but organize a trip). If you have a bit of money extra for flying, I think you would enjoy Iguazu Falls (two nights stay there is good) or Salvador (two nights stay).

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

Since nobody addressed your dream " and have always dreamt of bathing in a natural lake under a waterfall!! Is this possible near Rio?" I'll give it a try although not being an expert on the subject.

There is this road Rio-Santos where Angra, Parati and Ubatuba are located plenty of waterfalls. May be somebody who is into it can help you a little more.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

With your trip to Paraty, you could organize to take a bit of a detour on the way and go up to the waterfall Caputera. Here is a short description:

Various rivers coming from the mountains meet in this region forming various waterfalls, some with large pools for bathing. There are some bars at this location. Access is from the Rio-Santos highway taking an exit next to the Petrobras Terminal which is 20 km before the city of Angra dos Reis (travelling in the direction from Rio towards Paraty).

I'm pretty sure there is a nice restaurant up there as well that you could have lunch at.

6. Re: 10 to 14 days around Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 19, 2009