We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Air Ticket on Travelocity v. Airline Web Site?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Air Ticket on Travelocity v. Airline Web Site?

Greetings:

Do my chances of getting bumped/problems increase if I purchase a plane ticket on Travelocity or Expedia rather than the web site of the airline I intend to fly?....reason I ask, is that I am finding the same exact airfare on the dates and times I wish to travel for $ 300 less on Travelocity....I'm hoping I will not have any problems, but wanted to see if anybody had experiences good or bad. Thanks.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Air Ticket on Travelocity v. Airline Web Site?

The ticket is only "ticketed" by Travelocity, so your ticket will be with whichever airline is chosen. Right now, as I write, I have 2 tickets purchased from Travelocity and they both say "Continental Airlines" on them with Travelocity listed as the agent. It's the same as if you go to "Joe Blow Travel Agency". They sell you the ticket for the airlines.

Still wondering how I can type and hold tickets at the same time? Magic.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Air Ticket on Travelocity v. Airline Web Site?

I've used both many times, and had no problems.

Keep in mind that both Travelocity and Expedia (and others) will add a "service charge" onto your tickets - about $10 per ticket for E-Tickets and much more for paper. This is because the airlines no longer offer commissions.

Of course, $300 is way more than the service charge in this case, but often you can actually find cheaper on the airlines websites themselves.

3. Re: Purchasing Air Ticket on Travelocity v. Airline Web Site?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro