We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio dress code... December

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio dress code... December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, December 28, 2015
NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio dress code... December

Not at all...Quiksilver has a big shop in Ipanema, they also sell Rip Curl and Billabong; all are quite popular with the locals. The easiest way to blend in in Rio is to wear surf gear, but there are a few subtleties to pay attention to.

The minute you arrive in Rio, buy a pair of Havaiannas, they are everywhere and about 15 Reals (7 USD) a pair. Non-Havaianna flip flops will scream tourist; I usually leave Rio with as many pairs I can stuff into my suitcase.

If you really want to blend in; check out some of their local surf shops. Rio boasts some of the world's best board shorts. Check out Osklen, Limits and Blue Man. But they sell board shorts everywhere. Like Havaiannas; I'm forever trying to stuff as many pairs as possible into my suitcase on departure.

Another thing..leave your beach towel at home. NOBODY uses them. They either drip dry or use those "kanga" things; they sell them on the beach for 10-15 Reals.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio dress code... December

Greetings,

While I would whole heartily agree with almost everything CBcito advised you, I would (with all due respect to CBCito who provides lots of good info to TA members) take issue with one of his suggestions:

My understanding is that "Kangas" are used solely by ladies. At least the Brasileiras that I know in Rio de Janeiro have expressed to me on frequent visits to the beach that girls use kangas and that men generally shouldn't sit on the kanga of a women that they do not know or are not in a relationship with (unless, of course invited to do so).

To be honest, I have never seen a man with a kanga but it could be that I don't get to the beach enough...I have seen guys using towels to sit on and while this usually screams "tourist" (mostly because the towels have hotel logos on them) the alternative of sitting on the beach "commando" style (meaning without towel or blanket in this case) seems kinda uncomfortable especially on those hot December days.

George B.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio dress code... December

I will agree that men don't use Kangas (Sarongs) , etc... however they have evolved enough into sitting on chairs. The majority, if you walk through Posto 9 will have the little chairs that you can rent from the various "barracas" beach huts. they usually cost R$2-3 each.

If they cant afford a chair, they sit on the sand, and or stand and pose.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio dress code... December

Don't worry about the hawaian clothes tipping people off, the white american part already does that for you. That is unless you come with a deep tan at that time and you have dark colored hair. Then Brazilians might think twice... until you speak.

5. Re: Rio dress code... December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 21, 2009