We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Rio experience

London, England
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
My Rio experience

Just got back from Rio on my 2weeks holiday and I must say it has been my best holiday ever! Rio is amazing! Lovely people, cheap and great food, perfect weather. I was a bit concern when reading so many warnings about the crime sceens in Rio prior to my trip. After spending 2 weeks there, it is not what people claimed it was at all. Brazilians are very friendly people. I spent everyday on the beach, walked with my backpack in every corner of Ipanema, Copacabana, Botafoga and the city center and I felt safe. I even walked near Favella. It is absolutely ok to carry your camera in your pocket anywhere you go and take any pictures when necessary. I always carried cash (R200 or £50) and a credit card to the beach in case I need to buy something. When my friends are not around I just asked some tourists on the beach to look after my stuff while I took a swim. I know it sounds crazy, but I never had any problem. Of course it's important to keep it all in a low profile. I think people who got robbed are people who act like tourist, and had too much pre-caution.

Food is great in Rio and real cheap. Restaurant that offer all you can eat is very common in Rio, or you pay your dish base on the weight. Brazilians love meat and suzzi, so if you are a meat lover like me, you will enjoy the finest meat! A very good meal with vast choices only cost £5.

Fresh juice bar can be found in every corner. Fruits are very cheap indead! I got 5papayas, 1pineapple, 3kg bananas, star fruits - all in one big box for only £2!

Taxi is real cheap, you pay a basic fee £1 and a ten min ride can cost approx £3.

Dont forget to bargain! Even in shopping malls! At least ask for 10% discount. But if you are really good you might get more. I was in a Levis store and bought 2 t-shirts, got 20% off! This is the most fun of it. Obviously if I buy something on the beach for £1-2 I wouldnt haggle considered how tough those people's life are.

Overall, It has been a great experience for me in Rio. Again, Rio is not as scary as most people say. It's a bit depressing to get back to my normal life in London but I'm already planing my second visit next April/ May!

Centro Cultural Municipal Parque das Ruinas
Art Galleries, Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Caixa Cultural Rio
Art Galleries, Theaters
California
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My Rio experience

Depressed getting back to normal life in London? PULLLLEASE! Give me a break, haha. I would LOVE to be in London!!!

Where did you stay? What hotel? Did you do any of the tours?

Anyways thanks for the report. I'm heading to Ipanema in December and still trying to just gather advice and learn about peoples trips.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Rio experience

Lol..I am the same way; people always bust my chops for complaining about going back to my boring life in NYC. Particulary my carioca friends who insist there is no possible way that NYC could ever be boring; and that life on the beach everyday gets boring. Somehow I doubt that. But it's good to know that most of us have a case of "grass is greener" or maybe in this case..."water is blue-er".

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Rio experience

I think NYC is probably the #1 US destination for Brazilians. I think the size of it and the melting pot aspect really appeals to them. NYC is just one of those few special cities of the world that just has an immense amount of things to do that it's hard to see ever lacking in something to do. I put London and Paris in that category as well.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Rio experience

Hi Forro,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm so happy to hear you experienced Rio in EXACTLY the same way we did. Absolutely amazing. I can't wait to return!

5. Re: My Rio experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro