We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio on a budget?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rio on a budget?

Hi,

My bf and I are planning on visiting Rio late October 2014, but we are on a budget. I've been reading that Rio is an expensive place. With that said, is it possible to visit Rio on a $5k budget for two? This would include flights and hotel. Thanks for your help!!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio on a budget?

Yes, it is possible, why not?

But it will depend on how much are going to pay for the tickets and how long are you going to stay there.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio on a budget?

Wow 5000!!that is budget!!Dont expect to be staying near Ipanema or CopaCabana especially in october when things is raising to meet the december prices.

As previous poster said,how long are you going to stay?If it is a week? maybe.If it is around 2 weeks?I could recommend some cheap hotels in Bananal area with a oceanview.But it will take at least 1h30min to get to the attractions.Lapa/Catete/Gloria area can be quite cheap around October.Places in Bananal cost around 80 reais a night.It is a calm area with an Red Light District nearby but it is a small area that you pass by in seconds.In Bananal they have good cheap restaurants and it is a safe neigherborhood.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio on a budget?

If you can get a US$ 1000 flight from your place. There will be US$ 3000 remaining to pay other things.

The most expensive in terms of torist attractions is the christ and sugar loaf. Both together you can plan to spend around US$ 60 for those attractions together plus transportation (which can be public). Which means US$ 120 for both.

You are able to find decent lodging for US$ 125 per day the couple, not on prime location, but still close to the main attractions. If its a week, its around US$ 800.Check this for example:

tripadvisor.com.br/Hotel_Review-g303506-d640…

I think that is possible to have meals for around US$ 20 if you go to Kilos (weighted buffet food) or fast food and once in a time in a good restaurant. You can eat with US$ 600 for you both for a week.

There will be around US$ 1500 for other expenses like transportation, parties and other stuff. You use public transportation, i guess you wont spend more than US$ 16 a day in transportation (US$ 8 for both). If you use taxis short rides costs around US$ 10.

I think its possible to come with this budget, but staying away from gourmet dinners, using public transportation the most as possible. Not going that much to parties and bars.

If you stay in a lodge that you can cook, you will spend even less.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio on a budget?

We are interested in taking a city bus to copacabana beach.

Does rio offer any airport transportation

Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio on a budget?

Thanks for your help! I'll check out the areas recommended. Thanks again!!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio on a budget?

twittym, the public transportation option you have is taking the Transcarioca bus then taking the subway at Del Castilho (Botafogo-bound train, if it's a week day or Estácio-bound train if it's a weekend), then the General Osório-bound train from Botafogo (on the same platform).

Edited: 12:29 pm, August 08, 2014
Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio on a budget?

Greetings,

Depending on your airfare, you should be able to do the Rio entire Rio trip on $5K. I would suggest that you look into spending some of your time (you don't state how many days you will be in Rio) at a pousada in Santa Teresa like Casa Beleza and then your last couple of days could be spent at a Zona Sul hotel.

Food will probably be the least expensive of your costs and tours will likely be the most, especially if you hire a guide.

But if you plan right, you can easily make the trip for the budget you cite.

P.S. Don't forget to factor Tourist Visa costs into your budget as well.

I hope that this helps.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Edited: 9:22 am, August 09, 2014
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio on a budget?

Since you're traveling on a budget, consider staying at a nice hostel in Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon, three of the safest neighborhoods in Rio.

Have a look at the links below and read the reviews to see if any of them might suit your budget and your needs. Look for the ones with a rating of 85% and above. Lemon Spirit, Harmonia, the Mango Tree, Oztel (in Botafogo) and Dubliner Guesthouse (in Laranjeiras) are top choices.

http://bit.ly/cZqdu0

http://bit.ly/cUdz2F

http://bit.ly/yjNa19

Oztel Hostel in Botafogo:

http://bit.ly/18oDohI

Dubliner Guesthouse in Laranjeiras:

http://bit.ly/1hcWTh3

New guesthouse in Laranjeiras:

For first-timers to Rio not particularly familiar with Brazilian food, a good option is having a meal at one of the por kilo buffet-style restaurants. There are quite a few of them in the city.

Temperarte, for example, has several locations in Copacabana.

http://www.temperarte.com.br/

For about $20 U.S. (somewhat more for the larger tourist-oriented por kilos), it’s possible to sample a great variety of Brazilian specialties, including feijoada, codfish, beef, duck, shrimp, and numerous vegetable dishes, along with more familiar salads and desserts.

Usually the food is all the same cost per weight, but occasionally por kilos will charge a bit more for churrasco (barbeque) and fancy desserts.

While the fare is not quite gourmet cooking, it is reasonably priced. In case you’re wondering, it’s perfectly acceptable to enter a por kilo restaurant to scrutinize the offerings at the buffet tables before deciding to stay.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio on a budget?

For 1 day? easy.

sorry, unanswerable question w/o knowing price of your plane ticket, how many nights, etc.,etc. you can check air fares on your own. obviously vary a lot by where you are, when you go, etc. what is your hotel budget per night? what are your dates of travel? with more info, posters can give better responses. are you going anywhere but rio? would be a pity if not. it's a big, varied country. santa teresa has some safety concerns you can read about in other posts but many like it.

Edited: 4:10 pm, August 16, 2014
10. Re: Rio on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 18, 2015