We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotels in Rio?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Elm, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budget hotels in Rio?

Has anyone stayed in a hotel in Rio recently that was $100 or less per night? Did you actually enjoy the hotel and the location? I am planning to go there with a friend next summer, and I am trying to save some money for the friend and me. She has been there before so I can run the locations by her. Also, I think we are ruling out sharing a room. I know it makes a vacation much nicer when you get to have your own room.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

Rio is one of the most expensive cities in the world, so don't expect anything decent for $100 per night or less.

Bump up your budget a bit and you'll find good hotels in safe neighborhoods. Have a look at the Hotel Ibis Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, which is new and gets very good reviews. It’s one of the best hotel bargains in the city and it's not far from the beach.

http://bit.ly/XSG55I

Rio
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

Hi,

These days everything is quite a bit more expensive for the world cup. When are you coming? After the end of it things will get cheaper. If you come in august, is low season for us (not a vacation time for brazilians). And even being winter here, it never gets really cold.

If you don´t mind getting a little far from the beach (having to take the subway to get there, in a 15 minutes trip) Catete district has a lot of unexpensive hotels and a few hostels. It´s near downtown, Lapa and Santa Teresa. Botafogo district has also chain hotels (I guess it´s Íbis as well).

Have a good trip.

Seattle
Level Contributor
926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

You might want to look for a 2 bedroom apartment. It should be much nicer and cheaper than 2 hotel rooms.

Coventry, England...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

Ive have just come back from rio,back from world cup.I stayed at Angrense hotel,one block back from copacabana beach.Yes its not luxury but comfortable and clean..and staff are so friendly.But location is superb near beach, shops ,metro.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

I know you haven't asked this, but make sure to check your visa requirements: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k698… US nationals are required to have a visa to visit Brazil and the Houston consulate has jurisdiction over your area.

Little Elm, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am not going until a year from now. I just thought I would start asking these questions to get prepared.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

How far is Hotel Ibis Rio de Janeiro Copacabana from SDU airport?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

The distance is about seven miles.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

Thanks. How much would a taxi cost?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget hotels in Rio?

It should cost you something like R$ 25 - 30. If it's a regular yellow cab on the meter. If it's a radio taxi from the airport, it should cost you more (booked inside SDU).