We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

New York
6 posts
Save Topic
2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

Hello everyone! I have two weeks of vacation available during the Christmas and New Year holiday season, and I'm torn as to how I should spend the time. While I think I would enjoy two weeks in Rio, I'm wondering whether I should consider spending some time in Buenos Aires, as well? Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated! Here's a bit about me:

I'm a 30 year old, black, American, gay, male who is very well traveled and thoroughly enjoys the hustle and bustle of city life. I'm very physically conscious and enjoy working out, biking, running, swimming...you name it! I, too, very much enjoy music, theater, and all forms of dance. An ideal vacation for me is one that combines picturesque locations, beautiful and friendly people, and great entertainment.

Thanks!

Cam

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

A week in BA and a week in RIo. The NY eve week in Rio will be considerably more expensive than the prior week so your budget will dictate when to visit each city.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

darmanad,

Hello! And, thanks soooo much for the response! I see that tripadvisor has recognized you as an expert on Rio, so your recommendation truly means a lot to me. So, do you really think it's worth visiting BA during the time that I will be vacationing? I've read that BA comes to a bit of a halt during the summer, because most of the locals vacation on the coast. Any truth to this rumor? While vacationing in Spain, I was cautioned against visiting Madrid and Seville during the summer for much the same reason, and while I did enjoy myself, I did find these cities to be a bit lacking in energy. Everyone with whom I met recommended that I make another visit towards the end of summer and early fall. So, I did just that and found the cities to be COMPLETELY different! People were EVERYWHERE! If I were to split the time betweent the two cities, I would DEFINITELY spend the week of New Year's in Rio, though.

Given my interests, where would you recommend staying while in Rio? For a budget, I'd like to keep it under US $200 per night.

Additionally, judging from your response, I presume you are familiar with BA, so I would be very interested in reading your comparison of the two cities.

Any additional information you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Most Sincerely,

Cam

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

BA and Rio are quite different. BA in the summer may not be as happening as in other seasons but it should still constitute 1/2 your time. Good for shopping, clubbing, eating.

You'll want to do some reading about where to say in both places. Apts are an option to hotels. Use the money you save on other things. If you insist on a hotel in Rio I might suggest an Accor property ( Parthenons are good value ) or the Aproador Hotel.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

Cam,

IMO BA will be a bit less lively during that time as people do travel especially during that holiday period. As far as the entertainment part in BA, I doubt there will be any professional performances at, say, the Teatro Colon or other venues. Of course, the tango houses always have shows at night. You might want to ask the group on the BA board for their opinion. Then decide.

Personally, I would be tempted to give Rio nine days in that time and five in BA. Especially if you wanted to try to spend part of that nine in Rio in a nearby vacation spot like Buzios or Ilha Grande/Angra dos Reis.

Of course, your budget will determine some of this as well.

foz do iguassu
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

i know BA and Rio.

food is great in BA but Rio is more interesting,exotic.

go to montana grill in barra da tijuca and that meat is as good as in BA.and dont go to mariu´s in leme,a turist trap in my opinion.

best location in rio to stay is near arpoador area,well located logistically and next to ipanema and copacabana.and close to alll beaches.

try a bed and breakfast near there.

they run between US80 and 130.- night.

two luxury places come to mind:www.rioguesthouse.com and www.arpoadorbedandbreakfast.com

many retaurants,gay bars,boutiques all near by.

i doubt there are other places of similar quality and location in rio

in this price range.

6. Re: 2-WK Vacation during Christmas and New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 25, 2009