We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest hotel in Rio

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tX2
maryland
5 posts
Save Topic
Nicest hotel in Rio

I am having a hard time figuring out what is the nicest hotel in RIo. Any suggestions? If cost was not a factor, what is the best hotel in Rio...location and quality of rooms. Thank you for your help.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

Hi,

The most famous and fabulous hotel is the Copacabana Palace. It's a beautiful building and brings back an era of days gone by. I don't care for the the area of Copacabana Beach, but this hotel is really special.

For the best beach, I think that Ipanema is better and the Caesar Park Hotel is very nice there. Alot of people like the Sofitel HOtel and it's located at the good end of Coapacabana near Ipanema. Most of the tour groups stay at the Marriott which is close to the Copa Palace.

Cheers!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

Ricardo correctly notes several of the good ones. The Copacabana is definitely the most famous, and is situated right in along the middle of Copacabana beach, a fine location. The rooms at the Sofitel are very nice; located at the South end of Copacabana beach, the Sofitel also has the advantage of being in easy walking distance to Ipanema Beach.

In terms of pure hotel quality, another place requiring consideration these days is the new Sheraton Barra. It is located about 8 miles south, in a newly developing area called Barra da Tijuca. Much of Rio's money has been gravitating to the Barra area: the region is full of very expensive high rise apartments. The region lacks the bustle of the more crowded beach areas, but also lacks the hassles, crime, dirt, crowds, etc. The hotel itself is spectacular, and the beach is breathtaking and clean. The disadvantage is that you need transportation to get you to the sites and restaurants in urban Rio, but it is worth checking out . . .

tX2
maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

I appreciate both of your input so much. Thank you!

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

Le Meridien has small rooms unless you spring for the suites.

The Copa Palace is dated.

The Sheraton Barra has excellent rooms, even the upgraded Starwood rooms are mini-suites with kitchinette at no extra cost. The downside to Barra is that it is not Rio, it's a suburb.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

If you have not already made arrangements for a hotel, I would seriously consider renting an apartment instead (that is, if you are staying for at least a week). For the same or less money than a hotel, you will get a nicer, larger place, with a kitchen besides. If you are more than 2 people, by the time you split the cost, you will save alot of money. I was in Rio several weeks ago, and did just this. I rented an apartment in Ipanema beach, on Joaquim Nabuco street, which gives you access to both Ipanema and Copacabana beaches. It was very safe, as all complexes have security on bottom floor which only allow residents and registered guests access. Try contacting john broom (an American living in Rio) at john@spectralight.net. I believie you will be pleasantly surprised. Of course, they offer the gamut of places, from economical to very fancy, some penthouses with private pool, jacuzzi, etc., if money is not an object for you.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

Hi,

I couldn't get your link to work for john@specktralight.net

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

spectralight

8. Re: Nicest hotel in Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 15, 2009