We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
3 posts
Save Topic
Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Hello Everyone

I am staying in Barra da Tijuca and have a flight at 9PM from GIG on 22-June. I will be going to a game for the WCup at Maracana on that same day which should end at 3PM. However, because I would like to be at the airport by 7PM, I don't think I have time to go back to Barra da Tijuca to pick up my luggage (not to mention the cost) and then make it to the airport. Does anyone know of any luggage storage options I could use near Maracana during the game? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Search for a hostel with lockers and deal with them if you can leave your bags there for a while.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

The long-distance bus terminal, Rodoviário Novo Rio, has luggage storage. It is located five minutes away from the downtown district (Centro) in a somewhat seedy part of town, so it’s best to take a taxi there.

http://bit.ly/JEkrhY

http://bit.ly/1cQQkhS

Luggage storage (Guarda Volumes) at GIG, the international airport, is located on the curbside of each terminal and is open 24 hours (Malex do Brasil).

GIG’s two terminals are interconnected by a long indoor hallway with a moving walkway.

http://bit.ly/19uEmK1

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Remember traffic will be very heavy leaving the game, and you don't know how long it will take to get a taxi or bus. You could consider dropping your bags off at the airport before the game (check-in for the flight or, if the airline says it's too early, take your bags to the luggage storage), then head to the stadium. After the game, you "just" need to get to the stadium in time for your flight. More distance than the other options noted above, but less rush after the game, when your time is a bit shorter. Your hunch about not having time to return to Barra de Tijuca seems quite right.

Edited: 9:38 am, June 11, 2014
Fort Lauderdale...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you know if the hotels near the stadium would store luggage (even if you're not their guest), like they do here in the US?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

There are no hotels right near the stadium. Most are small hostels at least a mile away and they would not be particularly secure places in which to store your luggage—even if you were allowed to do so. Your best option is a locker at the airport.

Fort Lauderdale...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful. I will cancel my stay at Barra da Tijuca and find an apartment walking distance to the stadium. If the game is over at 3PM, that should give me enough time to collect my things and make it to the airport by 7pm (if I can find a taxi! ) Thanks again.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Just a tip: Only cancel your stay in barra AFTER you find and get the apartment near maracana, because the city is very crowded and there is a big chance You won´t find a place near the stadium.

Edited: 12:53 pm, June 11, 2014
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

Rio experts can opine whether you'd really want to stay anyplace within walking distance of Maracana. Why not drop off your luggage at the airport (ideally the one you're flying ut of but Santos Dumont is in the centro, and close to Flamengo and Botafogo). Getting an apartment this late could be expensive and you may not get the best place in the best are.

9. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, June 11, 2014
10. Re: Luggage storage near Maracana stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 13, 2015