We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

HI !

I am planning to stay in Niteroi for the WC2014 unless I could find a better choice to stay. I want to ask if somebody knows if it's safe to travel via ferry and then bus to get to Maracana and then come back . I am travelling alone and the games are at 7 pm so I need to know how secure you think it will be .

I also have an option to stay around recreio dos bandeirantes but I think that's to far .

Also checked Rio Hostel Santa Teresa but after reading many reviews it seems it's very insecure, so I ll pass on that one .

I'll be staying for 28 days and I am looking for the best and not that expensive option.

All advises are welcome...

Thanks !

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

I would not advise you to stay in Niteroi.

http://bit.ly/1bmivop

Have a look at the new guesthouse in Laranjeiras:

http://bit.ly/16GqcE6

Laranjeiras is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Rio. The area was previously called Vale do Carioca (Carioca Valley), but later renamed to Laranjeiras because of its many orange trees.

http://bit.ly/17hG67G

Edited: 11:59 pm, November 10, 2013
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

Laranjeiras Pictorial:

http://bit.ly/19MQmIM

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

First of all, try booking places close to a subway station. In that order:

1) Ipanema;

2) Copacabana;

3) Botafogo;

4) Flamengo;

5) Largo do Machado;

6) Catete;

7) Glória.

Neighborhoods adjacent to subway-served ones, such as Laranjeiras and Humaitá, are excellent choices as well.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

i completely agree that it is more desirable to stay in the neighborhoods listed in above answers, if that fits the budget.

i also believe that we all agree that going to Rio during WC, Carnaval, New Years Eve presents a challenge for anyone with a limited budget.

e.g., the hostel mentioned in #1 is charging 180-190 reais per night for a place in a triple bunk bed in a dorm room with a total of 7 people. clearly everything is expensive in all these areas in Rio's Zona Sul.

so, what is a traveler to do if he really wants to go to Rio for 28 days during WC on a limited budget?

well, he/she will have to choose the lesser among several evils.

i believe that Trip Advisor destination experts are people who either live or have traveled extensively in the area. in that case, maybe they could come up with alternatives which are beyond the usual tourists hangouts. because not everyone can afford do stay there.

anyone who knows Rio area well should know that Niteroi is actually a city with a more middle class profile than Rio itself. of course, like anywhere in Brazil, it has bad and good neighborhoods - just like Rio itself. so I find the article in the link in #1 very misleading - someone could have written a similar story about Rio itself (or any of the other 11 WC host cities).

if anyone is familiar with Human Development Index (HDI), Niteroi is 0.837, higher than city of Rio (0.799). Actually it is the highest in the entire state - and higher than the city of SP (0.805).... I believe Costa Rica is 0.773... HDI is based on income. heatlh and education... the higher the better... and we all know that areas with higher HDI tend to be less violent for obvious reasons. (just look who tops the world charts: Norway and Australia)

so, a blanket statement that Niteroi is "dangerous" is actually more misleading that saying the same for Rio.... I personally know a lot of upper middle income families who live in areas in Niteroi which are much safer than a lot of areas in Rio...

of course, one must take into acct the specific question posted by the OP - is he safe taking the "barca" alone after a game?

I have not done that in a while... during daytime, I know a lot of people who do that and it clearly is not more dangerous than taking a regular bus in Zona Sul.

question remains about the barca-to-hostel segment as well as the time of day factor.

hopefully, someone who really knows Niteroi shows up to answer here.

manwhile, given the 3 alternatives that seem to fit OP's budget, what is the choice? across the bay in Niteroi (but relatively close to downtown Rio), far off Recreio (what is the estimated time from Recreio to Maracanã?), or closer-by Santa Teresa (which some dont like because you can make a wrong turn and end up in a favela)?

to Percy, I suggest you read some of the reviews about places in Niteroi. you are likely to run into comments from people who actually live there... you can try sending them a private message thru TA and see what light they can shed.

you can start with reviews to the MAC:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303500-d3…

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

If only Percy were staying at the MAC he wouldn’t have a worry in the world. But unfortunately he won’t be, so it’s important to point out to first-timers in Brazil that Niteroi presents many dangers, especially after sundown, a fact that many of its middle-class residents—and O Globo, Rio’s leading newspaper— would agree with. Percy may want to use Google Translate for the following story.

http://glo.bo/17k4YsM

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

anyone could use google to come up with a number of scary stories about any neighborhood in Rio.

just a few days ago there was this story about DAYTIME muggings in Arpoador (video included), which is sandwiched between Ipanema and Copacabana - the usual top recommendations for tourists.

and, just like in Niteroi, the local neighborhood association is complaining to the police.

"There had to be protection. On a sunny Sunday, with the beach packed, holdups multiply in Arpoador."

not my words. words of the head of the Ipanema neighborhood association.

…uol.com.br/cotidiano/2013/11/1365989-perto-…

but just pasting links to scary stories does not help the OP at all, which, IMHO, is the idea behind trip advisor forums.

i guess my english must be so bad that I cannot really get my point across, which is: Niteroi has good and bad spots. just like Rio.

If the OP can afford the Laranjeiras hostel, that would be great. what if he cannot?

someone needs affordable accomodation for 28 nights in Rio for WC. definitely a tall order, to say the least.

what is the best choice amongst those he has found affordable: Niteroi, Recreio or Santa Teresa? pros and cons?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

If a tourist is traveling to Rio for the World Cup for 28 days that person is clearly not working the bread line, so there is simply no need for anyone to sentimentalize his cash position.

$85 U.S. a night for a bunk bed in new guesthouse in Laranjeiras (one of the best and safest neighborhoods in Rio) during the WC is a bargain, even for those on a presumed limited budget.

The copious news reports about violent crime in Niteroi may be “scary,” but they also happen to be true. (Talk about blaming the messenger.)

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

clearly the ability to make distinctions between area A and B in Niteroi is not being discussed, so i believe it is of no use to the OP to make this an ever ending back-and-forth. i have no need to win an internet argument.

totally agree that US$85/night for a place in a triple bunk bed in Rio in Zona Sul may be as good as it gets during WC. whether it is a bargain or value for the money, I guess each person must make his/her decision.

it may even come down to: if you cannot afford that, then unfortunately you may be priced out of Rio during WC.

but, in the (futile?) hope that someone can discuss the 3 options presented by the OP, does anyone have views on the pros and cons of Recreio, Niteroi or Santa Teresa? if push comes to shove, which would be the least "scary" among these 3 choices?

Edited: 11:12 pm, November 11, 2013
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

Recent data shows an increase in crime rates in Rio’s neighboring city of Niterói.

http://bit.ly/1cYXEZj

10. Re: WC 2014 Staying at Niteroi Travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, January 08, 2014