We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Hi Guys,

Im a single female going to Rio for Carnivale 2014. I am stuck at the moment trying to get the best value for money in regards to accomodation. I am thinking the best way would be to go on a "tour" for the ease of having the accomodation and ticket sorted with the benefit of a guide but the single supplement is double the price, and for every company I have rung they will not pair you with another traveller like on other tours. I have found a 5 day tour for AUS$1, 019 but I need someone else to share the room so we can book a twin.

Any suggestions? Or ideas of other ways to do this? Any advice would be helpful.

Im also happy if someone has a bed they need to fill in a room for the Carnivale too.

Thanks

Suzi

Belleville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

I spoke with Jose of TGW tours and they are going as a group of 120 people. Mr. Jose was very informative and according to him, TGW english speaking tour guides will assist us right as we land at GIG and arrange our trip to samba parade, street parties, beaches, statue of Christ. They quoted me $4500.00 that includes air from JFK and 5 nights hotel. The quote seems little higher, but in my opinion maybe worth since this will be my first time in RIO and I dont know any thing or anyone. Moreover, we will have lots of company in a group of 120 people.

Another agency is lushpathways in Brazil and they also organize carnivals. They sent me a link of the carnival pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Let me know what all decide and we can go accordingly. I think, we should purchase samba parade tickets soon as they run out fast and then we will have to pay high prices later.

Raj

12. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:49 pm, August 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-Sea...
6 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Im a solo traveller too, ive had a good think about it and im just booking into a hostel, meet people which are probably in a simular situations, then buy tickets to the things you really want to see, im not sure if those packages have a structure but they seem quiet expensive for what they are and if you dont want to do whats sceduled or meet other people which are doing something else might feel like your not doing what you want to do? it seems there are a lot of solo travellers going!

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
778 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Just one thing about hostels - DON'T STAY AT THE ART HOSTEL, it's terrible. (Forgive the capitals, but wanted to make the message quite clear). It's a dirty hotel with tiny rooms, fleas on the bed, poor breakfast (old toast with one pot of margarine shared between the tables - in the pot), broken door handles, no security (you leave your bags in a room open to anyone who has the key, no lockable cupboards) and so on.

If you like Catete (where the hostel is), just round the corner there is the Imperial Hotel - much better.

Belleville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Suzi,

Other options for you is rent an apartment for a week. Apt rentals are better then hostels. In hostel, you will be sleeping with snoring individuals and the bed is very small.

Raj

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Trip Advisor Flip Key program offers nice rental apartments

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g303506…

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Hey guys, I'm Sara, solo female traveller from Sweden, Scandinavia:) Cool to hear so many people going by there own for the carnival!! Makes me feel a little calmer,haha:)) I'm booked at Hercus hostel in Santa teresa, any past travellers got any experiences of it? Would be great to meet up some ppl for beer/dancing before the sambadrome sets off:)

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Do you have Facebook, I am from New Zealand also traveling alone during those dates.

I could possibly be keen, but would like to have a look at the tour details first.

Thanks Ashlee

Belleville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Suzi

Best options is hostels. They are cheaper, but you will be in a smaller bed without any privacy.

TO
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Solo Female Traveller - Rio Carnivale 2014

Apple_papple, how much are you paying for the hostel?Is there a minimum nights requirement? I may or may not be traveling alone to Rio for Carnival. My friend in Sao Paulo is not sure she can come yet. So I am trying to price things. And figure out how I am going to do this if I am going alone.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro