We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio during Carnivale or not

Atlanta,Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Rio during Carnivale or not

Considering a trip to Rio next February, trying to decide to go during Carnivale or week before or after. any suggestions?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

What is your budget and what are your interests?

Prices during Carnaval tend to spike considerably, and most hotels require minimum stays during this time.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

We are talking apples and oranges here. Prices, activities, the mood, everything different.

But if you decide to avoid Carnival, by all means, come the week after.

Atlanta,Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

Thanks. I thought the prices would be higher during Carnival. My other concern is the crowds, trying to get into restaurants, to Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer during Carnival. sounds like coming a week later would be better.

Atlanta,Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

Thanks, I thought the prices would be higher and the lines longer getting into restaurants and other activities during Carnival. I was also concerned about higher crime during this time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

If this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip, bite the bullet and splurge for Carnaval. The parades, the blocos, the Carnaval parties are something to always remember. Visiting Rio during non-Carnaval times is still an excellent trip, but IMHO if you are going to spend thousands of dollars and travel for most of a day there and back, a few thousand more to experience Carnaval is a no brainer for me.

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

If you don't want to pay Carnaval prices, come a couple/few weeks before when there are rehearsals at the samba schools and dress rehearsals in the Sambodromo.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

I agree with gosto_desfile. Actually, if you're not coming for canival, then come in May or June, when the weather is much more pleasant, in my opinion. Besides being a low season here.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

Prices can still be high immediately after Carnaval (supply and demand), but a bit less (and with fewer minimum-stay requirements than during the week itself). By the week after, do you mean the full week after, or just the days after the official end (Tuesday)? That entire week, through the next weekend, will be peak. Not trying to discourage you form going to Carnaval, but you have to really want to go. If not going to parades, can you go even in March? You'll still likely be paying peak airline fares.

9. Re: Rio during Carnivale or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro