We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

I travelled by myself. I stayed in a hostel in Ipanema. June 26th-July 6th. I met wonderful people and had the time of my life. I went to the confederation cup match, lapa a few times (once at night), I did sugar loaf, Christ, copa beach, Tijuaca, botanical and had no problems. There was times things got a bit sketchy but I was never really scared. I'm a firm believer that the appearance on TV is much worse than the actual place. In Ipanema I felt very safe.

There is way too much information to list but a few things I ran into:

Iphone SIM card is hard to come by. iphones take micro cards, only regulars are sold but you can cut them down if your skilled.

Learn some Portuguese. Hi, Bye, good morning, how much?, numbers. Nothing is worse than not knowing how much something costs and wanting to buy it.

Make sure you have an international bank... I had a regional bank and ran into a few problems with getting in contact with them when i had a few problems.

Anyways if you have any specific question just let me know. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents.

Thanks,

James

Oxford, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Am traveling to SP in 2 months. Thanks for your review. Question about the iPhone SIM card - had not heard of cutting them down to fit. Does that actually work? How do you do it? Cost of cards? Thanks much.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

I was unsuccessful I cut mine down and it didn't work. I watched a YouTube video. Others in the hostel were successful. Cards cost 10 reals and then however much you want to load it with. I used wifi apps that I could make free calls and texts on. Very easy but less flexibility.

Oxford, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Thank you - likely will stick with the WiFi choice.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

James,

Thank you for your feedback.

Good to know you had a good time by here... hope you come back soon!

Best regards!

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Hey James,

Im really happy to read your experience about Rio. I made a crazy decision yesterday, and bought a flight ticket to Rio, departing on the 11th.. However, Im bit concerned about the safety... A young blond girl, travelling alone, sounds like a sweet n easy spot for robbers...

I will arrive to Rio around 10pm. Do you think its safe to travel to the centre by night (my hotel is on the Copacabana) Or shall i sleep in a hotel at the airport, znd going to the city the next morning?...

Cheers

Kata

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Katu - pre pay for a taxi at one of the booths located just outside customs at the airport. It will cost more than getting a taxi at the curb, but you will be assured of getting a fixed price without a hassle. You can pay by credit card. ask for a discount and it should cost around R $100

When they hand you the ticket, ask to be walked out directly to your taxi . Give the taxi driver your hotel name and address and you'll be dropped off in 20 minutes. You shouldn't have any problems. No need to tip cab driver for this service as it's included in the price

Copacabana is on the beach and is not in the city center.

Edited: 10:49 am, July 09, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

I agree with the previous post. Pre-pay for the taxi and your good to go that night. I met quite a few young solo female travellers and they didn't let that hold them back. Just be aware of your surroundings and be smart!

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

Tnx a lot for your replies!! :) one more question... I really want to try the real brazilian nightlife... Which part of the city is the best and the safest to go out?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

The most authentic Brazilian nightlife is found in the Bohemian district of Lapa. It's near the center of Rio and you will need to take a taxi to and from. The action starts after 11pm and goes until dawn. It's safe as long as you stick to the main streets where people are. Visit one of the samba clubs.

http://bit.ly/Ly9wG3

The safest part of the city to go out at night is the Ipanema Neighborhood. The party street farme de Amoeda is popular with both gay and straight crowds

Ipanema overall is safer than Copacabana, especially at night . You might want to get a hotel there instead,.

Edited: 12:41 pm, July 09, 2013
Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Rio. June 26-July 6th

for sim cards: go to Lojas Americanas ( most malls will have it. with your passport(copy) you might get one