We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rio in july with a 4 year old

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
rio in july with a 4 year old

I have just read another post about brazil's weather in july and was hoping for some clarification. We are travelling mid July and my reading seems to indicate that the weather would be 15- 22C, which is similar to Sydney in winter, meaning jumpers and warm clothes. Is this right.

My husband and I will be travelling with a 4 year old and I am concerned about the crime, our government foreign affairs website has just upgraded the level of caution needed for travelling to rio. There are 5 categories, the last one being 'do not travel', so at least it is not there yet.

We will be staying with a long lost relative so I am guessing he will only take us to safe places etc, and we are staying at Leblon, any places we should particularly avoid with a small child.

thanks

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rio in july with a 4 year old

The temperatures will be those you mention with some ocasionals 25s to 30s. Leblon is safe, probably the safest place in Rio. There are a lot of places you should avoid, with or without a small child, but I'm sure your relative will keep you away from them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rio in july with a 4 year old

Leblon is the best place to stay safety wise. Barra da Tijuca is also relatively safe but is further outside of the city and is harder to get around without a car.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: rio in july with a 4 year old

Dear Jody,

In spite of many things you have heard or read about Rio, believe me, it's not that bad. Statistically, criminality index is high in the west and north part of the city, but very low around the area you will be staying. If you’d like some suggestions take your kid out to Lagoa, it’s behind Leblon and Ipanema, very nice area for kids, there you can rent bikes, skates, pedals, there are several playground around it, your child will definitely love it.

Also in Leblon beach, they have the “Baixo bebê”, kind of a beach baby “hang around”.

Rio is an excellent place for kids, there are outdoor activities everywhere and you are coming in an excellent time and temperature. Be welcome and have fun!

jew
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rio in july with a 4 year old

I've just returned from an 11 day stay in Copacabana. We arrived to beautiful hot sunshine (average 26 degrees most days). The only blip were 2 days when it was very cloudy and rainy. Then back to the sunshine. The evenings never went below 20 degrees so only a light jacket was required. One thing to bear in mind is that it Brazil's winter so it was dark by about 5pm which did make the evenings quite long.

I travelled with my boyfriend and we followed all the advise about not looking like a tourist and we experienced no trouble or threats at all. I think as long as you are careful (as you should be in any city) then Rio is a beautiful place with very friendly people. The only place I would advice avoiding in the evenings with a small child is Copacabana as it is rather seedy with a lot of prostitutes about.

Otherwise, Ipaneama and Leblon are really cool and very sophisticated and I can see why they may be the preferred destinations for many travellers.

Have a good time. It's a fantastic place and I hope to return one day.

5. Re: rio in july with a 4 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 16, 2009