We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

Piracicaba, SP
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

Hi! I'm living in Sao Paulo and planning a weekend trip with sister who's coming from Korea. She's been to Rio de Janeiro and Iguasso and I've been to Rio, Iguasso, Salvador, Florianopolis, Fortaleza etc.

It will be from Friday to Sunday for three adults (my husband, I and my sister) and my 2 year old son.

I've been searching about TA Top 10 destinations in Brazil and Buzios and Paraty seem great to me. I know there are many beautiful places up in the north but the flights are pretty expensive for all 4 of us.

I guess it's too cold to swim in September in both places? This won't be a big problem because I'm not much of a beach person and it's quite hard to keep the toddler under control at beach anyway! I'm looking for beautiful scenery, good dining and maybe a bit of sightseeing if there are.

Buzios is attractive with nice dining and relatively short distance from Rio airport but Paraty seems to offer more to see with colonial buildings etc.

Could you give me advice which is better for us esp. with a toddler?

Thank you in advance!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

Paraty is about 4.5 hours by bus from SP whereas Buzios is about 7 hours. For that reason alone, all other things being equal, Paraty would be a better choice. But all other things aren't equal. Buzios is very much all about the beach whereas Paraty is a colonial town that has more of an arts/ crafts environment and it has fun schooner rides with snorkel and swimming that Buzios lacks. Not even close.

Piracicaba, SP
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

Thanks LameT A!

I'll be travelling Iguasso before this trip, so we're flying to Rio. Although Paraty is further from Rio, it seems great with other options than beaches.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

It's really a personal choice as both are great destinations. Neither one is better or worse with a toddler. In Paraty you can walk everywhere you need to go and see, and you can take nice schooner ride to beaches and Islands nearby (highly recommended and good for toddler)

In Buzios you can walk around the main village if you stay there near Ruas das pedras, but if you stay in one of the other areas , you will need to drive to see evertyhing.

I'd go for Paraty.

4. Re: Buzios or Paraty with a toddler in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 18, 2014