We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment away from Beaches

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment away from Beaches

We are going to Rio June 17 and but prefer a historic neighborhood to a beach environment for an apartment rental but with decent access to public transportation--3 adults. Nothing luxurious needed, just clean and safe. I have seen many fabulous posts from the generous experts and look forward to some help.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

Lapa and Santa Teresa are considered historic, in that they are located near the old city center and have a bohemian atmosphere. Transportation is better in Lapa, as the Metro stop is right there. The Bonde (tram) is not currently operating up the hills of Santa Teresa down to Lapa, so you will need to walk or go by taxi. It;s pretty steep.

Neither neighborhood is particularly safe, but Santa Teresa has come a long ways over the past 10 years. Stick to the main streets , especially at night, and you should be OK. Lapa is another story. It's the late night party are with the Samba clubs and other nightclubs. It's safe when people are out and about, but I would personally not stay there for more than a night or two.

there are apartments for rent in either neighborhood, usually by owner, and I'd check on TA or AirBNB. Your best lodging option would be one of the nice boutique hotels in Santa Teresa.

Below is a link to an apartment listed in TA

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g303506…

I'd recommend you rent a 2 or 3 BR apt in Ipanema or Copacabana for most of your stay, and a night or two in Lapa or Santa Teresa if you want to get a feel for a historic neighborhood.

Or, you could rent an apartment on the lovely although less historic , Urca neighborhood, which has easy bus access and is pretty close to Copacabana and other sites. It's a very safe neighborhood.

http://bit.ly/MEb8NQ

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

Flamengo, Centro and Niterói are good choices.

Tell me if you need help to find.

BR

Rio Brazil
Level Contributor
56 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

I second almost everything said above, but would like to add that I don't think Santa Teresa has decent public transportation. If you chose to stay there, except to spend money on taxis to come and go all the time. If that's a problem for you and you don't want to be in the middle of the noise at Lapa(which also doesn't have subway), then Catete, Largo do Machado, Flamengo would be your best bets, I think. They have subway stations are safer and are still historic (Catete has the old brazilian presidency – kinda like the old Brazilian "White house" before Brasília was built).

Rio Brazil
Level Contributor
56 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

I meant * "expect to spend money..."

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

It's a hard question, as it's hard to combine (a) safe; (b) historic setting; and (c) public transportation.

I think Catete is an interesting neighborhood. Have a look at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d305495…

It's well served by the subway, buses, etc. Nearby the hotel, you'll see the Museu da República: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d3…

All the best

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

Thank You, everyone. Here is a isting I found that looked interesting, but I'm not sure of location and accessibility to other sights.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/br/corcovado-guest-house.en-us.html?aid=339530;label=728_city-banner_smartdeals-2_OWG04;sid=9d58284fe5b0320fd8e0296ebbf6c87d;dcid=1;checkin=2013-06-17;checkout=2013-06-18;srfid=5635fc4df9a3111111f3894d94b12684cccf299fX1

Edited: 2:34 am, May 24, 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

That's a good location. Off the beach, but you'll just have to walk to the bus stop from where you'll be able to go to Ipanema, Copacabana, etc. I actually live nearby this place. All the best

8. Re: Apartment away from Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 26, 2014