We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs in Rio: warning

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs in Rio: warning

Dear travelers,

There have been several reports on this forum of scams in ATMs in Rio, especially the ones located at the International Airport.

In view of the above:

1) Avoid using ATMs located at the airport, subway stations and other public areas;

2) When arriving at the airport, exchange only the necessary at an exchange booth, so that you can get your reais and pay for your ground transportation. Exchange booths at the airport usually have worse rates, so the suggestion we've givien is: get the necessary and withdrawl money from ATM machines as per the instructions on item #3;

3) Use ATMs located inside bank agencies around the city, especially Banco do Brasil, which apparently has shown to be more compatible with foreign cards (look for the ATM machines which have stickers of card flags – Visa, MasterCard, etc – attached to them). Citibank, HSBC and other international banks may also have compatible machines.

4) If you've been a victim of any kind of fraud, contact your bank. They usually reimburse you within some hours or days, as in most jurisdictions – including under Brazilian Law – they have to do it so, as it is their duty to keep their costumers free of frauds.

Further information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k464…

Moreover, it's also important to know that ATMs won't allow you withdrawl more than R$ 1,000 per day. In some banks, the limit may be as low as R$ 300. Also avoid withdrawing money in the evening, as some banks won't let you do it when it's late. Further information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k620…

Remember that credit cards are widely accepted in restaurants, bars, clubs, supermarkets, etc, so you won't need to withdrawl money from ATM machines all the time.

All the best,

Jgsodre

136 replies to this topic
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

This is an interesting video from the Australian embassy in Brazil, which gives travelers safety tips. One of them is using ATMs inside banks, just as we suggest here. http://tinyurl.com/lo6tcnp

PS: background music has nothing to do with Brazil.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

Hi Jgsodre, cheers for the "heads up" on this great post.....

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

Hey Bill, thanks for your compliment! Glad to help.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
48 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

I went to Rio (and another city last summer (2013). After reading this forum I decided to get a special card from my bank that was connected only to my savings account. I put only the amount of money I would spend in Brazil in it. (I could also transfer into that account from my checking via computer BUT the checking was not connected to the ATM card--so if the card was cloned they would not get into all my money, just whatever I put in the savings). Nothing happened--and I used the ATM several times, but it gave me peace

of mind that if someone did get the card or clone it, they would not get much, and would not have access to all my money.

Edited: 4:25 pm, February 21, 2014
Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

Is there a similar post about ATMs in Sao Paulo? If so, can somebody link it here?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

When I called my bank to let them know I'd be vacationing in Rio and using my debit card, they informed

me that they do not allow ANY access to ATM machines in Brazil using my Check Card.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

what bank do you use?

San Salvador
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

I am so sad that I did not read this post before going to Rio, our flight landed at 12:30am there were no Exchange Agencies open at that time so we tried to get some cash from the HSBC ATM at GIG airport. The machine launched a ticket saying wrong key so I did no insist. After 10 days, we were in São Paulo and surprise ! Two debits from that ATM at Rio's airport. My friend tried in that same ATM with 2 f his debit cards and they took all his money, when we were already back home, they even checked the account balance to see if there was more cash to steal. we are now dealing with our bank back home to obtain our money back, after having to go thru the fraud demonstration process.

39. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 22, 2014

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: ATMs in Rio: warning

American Bank (Based in PA)

Reply to: ATMs in Rio: warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted