We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson
Level Contributor
54 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

Hi

We've never been to Rio before and we'd like to know that someone will be waiting for us at airport to take us to our hotel.

The only service I found where I can pay online is Rio Airport Transfer. The round trip cost is $165 US - airport to Ipanema. That seems high to me and I'm not even sure if someone will be waiting for us with a sign.

Or should we just take a Radio Taxi at airport??? Any input or suggestions are much appreciated.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

Sincerely, it's not necessary. As soon as you get to the arrivals area, there will be several booths of "radio taxi" services, which will cost you something around US$ 60. So, yes, I think taking a radio taxi att he airport is a better option in this case.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

My advice also would be to book a prepaid radio taxi at the airport.

Immediately upon exiting the customs clearance area at GIG, you will find three or four booths for the radio taxis. Just speak with any one of the attendants and pay for your taxi (cash or credit card). Process takes about three minutes. (Ask for a discount, and you can get around 10% off.)

You’ll be given a slip and told where to meet your driver outside of the terminal. You then hand the driver the slip, tell him the name of your hotel, and you are immediately on your way. It’s really very simple.

Radio taxis are for the most part new, clean, and the drivers, many of whom speak some English, are professional and trustworthy. You pay a bit more, but you do avoid the usual hassles.

You can pre-book a radio-taxi return at the airport when you first arrive. Before you are ready to be picked up at your hotel, it’s best to call the radio taxi number to confirm your prearranged time and place for your departure.

Tucson
Level Contributor
54 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

MonteCD

Just to clarify - are you saying we can pre-book our taxi from our hotel back to the airport when we leave Rio?

We have a 6:00am flight and know we will have to leave our hotel very early. It would give us peace of mind knowing this is set up beforehand.

Thx

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

Yes, you can prebook your taxi at both the airport or from your hotel. You would have to leave your hotel around 3 a.m. to get to the airport in time.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

You can arrange with a taxi driver trhough your hotel, to pick you up early in the morning for your return. You can usually arrange a flat fee or go by the meter. At that time of day, it will be a short 30 minute ride, and I'd opt for the meter .

6. Re: Can I book and prepay for airport to Rio transfer from U.S.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2014